Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

smarthub frequent restarts required

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have read a few comments about possible performance degradation as a result of the latest firmware upgrade.

This is regarding an overall 'smarthub not responding state' that requires a restart to get things back in sync.

Is there a published set of specifications about the number of cameras that should be connected to a smarthub?

I have 5 cameras (including the doorbell). When things are in sync, we're good. 

Sadly, it is now too frequent that I experience one or more cameras not responding, when it is the smarthub that requires the restart to have everything operating normally.

VMB5000 with latest firmware (1.16.4.3_865_fbb05d3)

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there can be various reasons for this to be happening, what is the hub's LED showing when offline? When this is happening have you tried both the app and the web client? Have you tried force closing the app and reopening? The number of cameras you're using is fine - I have more with no issues. There's no spec as such but you're well within any such limit.

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. 

I have yet to check on the 'light' of the hub while this is happening. It's a trip to the computer closet.

I must add this:

HomeKit correctly connects to each camera (including the doorbell, after the firmware upgrade) in a matter of seconds.

Arlo app will fail at times to even open a connection to some of the cameras.

I see good wifi signal level between the hub and all cameras; I wouldn't think it's a connectivity issue inside the home network.

What is the model for Arlo's network?

All cameras connect wirelessly to the smarthub (when present), which is wired to the house network. It is the hub that connects to arlo.com for 'smart notification' processing and alerting, but also for live monitoring?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I suppose it could have to do with the HomeKit connection - try removing that for testing.

The hub is used for all connections between the camera and servers.

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

a quick note on HomeKit potentially causing issues. HomeKit is a polling on demand monitoring, unless running a scheduled task. When I mentioned that HomeKit was successful in showing live video on all cameras in seconds, it was from the time I started HK. You can see how it shows its latest state briefly and then it refreshes.

I'm puzzled as to why HK would conflict, or overwhelm the smarthub and its connections. Again, I go back to one of my original questions, what is its load capacity, bandwidth?

Your answer that points to live video traffic being streamed back to home before my app can view it doesn't seem the most efficient model. The video is already on the hub. But, this is a separate issue, that could contribute to those cameras failing to connect or update timely through the arlo app, or even their website.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation