Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Bigdog20
Follower
Follower

The free trial just ended for the smart arlo. Now i can't record video to cloud without subscribing. I have 2 other arlo pro 2 cams that have cloud recording for free. During the free trial i didn't even use any of the smart features because they suck and don't work. Now i have to pay monthly for "smart" features that i won't even use just to be able to record to cloud. Total bs. I would have bought another pro 2 had i known this and saved money. Spend more money on a camera and get screwed in the end. Great business model. I was happy with the system up until now. I will not recommend to anyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Bigdog20 wrote:
The free trial just ended for the smart arlo. Now i can't record video to cloud without subscribing. I have 2 other arlo pro 2 cams that have cloud recording for free.

That's right. Pro 3 cameras need a subscription to have cloud recordings.

You can also record locally and access them from a mobile device.

What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Bigdog20 wrote:
The free trial just ended for the smart arlo. Now i can't record video to cloud without subscribing. I have 2 other arlo pro 2 cams that have cloud recording for free.

That's right. Pro 3 cameras need a subscription to have cloud recordings.

You can also record locally and access them from a mobile device.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
vernonherridge
Aspirant
Aspirant

My cloud storage is about to end too.  I can only watch the videos if I download the MP4 file.  I have just added a USB stick to record.  The MP4 files play directly.  What is the difference that doesn't allow me to view MP4 directly from Arlo and cloud?  I won't be subscribing unless there is a solution.
Also, even with the camera attached to mains electricity, all clips start a few seconds after movement is detected.
Lastly, I cannot change the duration of clips which often stop before the motion is out of shot.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@vernonherridge wrote:

What is the difference that doesn't allow me to view MP4 directly from Arlo and cloud? 

I don't understand the question.

Does this help?

@vernonherridge wrote:

Lastly, I cannot change the duration of clips which often stop before the motion is out of shot.

There are settings to control that. Sounds like you may need to spend a bit of time with the manual and checking the various settings in modes and rules.

What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?

Just another user
vernonherridge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Further to my earlier response:  The MP4 that are saved in the Arlo library need to be downloaded in order to view them on my PC.  No problem on my smartphone.
The USB stick has the same files yet I can view the MP4 files on my PC with no problem

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@vernonherridge 

My guess would be a browser issue. What browser are you using and also which version?

I had the same issue with the new chromium edge browser.

vernonherridge
Aspirant
Aspirant

My MS Edge version is 84.0.522.52 (official build) 64-bit).  It plays one second then tells me to download.

My Chrome version is 83.0.4103.116. Message says download straight away.

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@vernonherridge 

Did it ever work with the edge browser? Your version of edge is the newer chromium version. I have one older pc which I can not view them on with the new browser but I also have a newer laptop with the newer version and everything works great with it.  Not sure what to tell you.

I don't think it ever worked with Google Chrome but I'm not sure.

Frankdib
Initiate
Initiate

so if i am reading this correct, my two arlo essentials have ended the trial of SMART and now don't record and only wahy is to pay the subscription fee? that is bull crap, i will take back to best buy and let the credit card company and arlo fight this out. i have two arlo pro cameras and this isn't an issue. i spoke highly of Arlo but if this is how they roll, i will not recommend them to anyone moving forward. total scam.

HansvanSolt
Initiate
Initiate

Fully agree, a good reason never to buy Arlo again. I had the older models with 7 days Cloud back-up which was just fine.

Very dissapointed in this offering.

Hans

stoursj
Initiate
Initiate
I really wish they had described how the system works more clearly after the subscription runs out. The system is now pretty much useless to me since I can’t see locally stored video and images in the library and am forced to disconnect my usb drive and plug it into a pc to view. Totally useless setup! Trying to ditch the system on Craigslist now but I am compelled to describe how the subscription works so folks understand what they’re getting into and when I do, no one wants to give me any real cash for the system and I don’t blame them really. Moving on to a née product now and I do not recommend Arlo system to anyone until they fix this issue or make the system so inexpensive that the subscription isn’t a big deal.
DeeRobb
Initiate
Initiate

I agree and I am sorry that I purchased. I do not understand how Arlo does not see this and provides no viable options. 

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 20 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation