Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

I currently have 4 Arlo Pro2, 5 Arlo Pro and 4 Arlo cameras on a VMB4000 base station. I have two questions:

1. Can I get access to the Local Recordings without unplugging the USB Drive if upgrading the VMB4000 to the VMB5000 Smart Hub?

2. Does the VMB5000 Smart Hub have as good of a signal coverage as the VMB4000?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

1. Can I get access to the Local Recordings without unplugging the USB Drive if upgrading the VMB4000 to the VMB5000 Smart Hub?

The VMB5000 uses microSD and not USB.  But you can access the recordings w/o removing the card.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

I haven't noticed any difference, though my cameras aren't that far from the base.

FWIW, I suggest holding off a bit on upgrading the base.  Direct Storage Access is new, and there are some issues with it that I hope Arlo will address.  One is the lack of thumbnails, another is that it doesn't support "grant access".

Though 13 cameras is a lot for one base.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

The VMB5000 uses microSD and not USB.  But you can access the recordings w/o removing the card.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

I haven't noticed any difference, though my cameras aren't that far from the base.

FWIW, I suggest holding off a bit on upgrading the base.  Direct Storage Access is new, and there are some issues with it that I hope Arlo will address.  One is the lack of thumbnails, another is that it doesn't support "grant access".

Though 13 cameras is a lot for one base.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

Also missing from Direct Storage Access is local access with your browser on a desktop PC.

A serious shortcoming by my reckoning.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

Well, that's not what I envisioned. No PC Access makes it useless to me then.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Indeed.

Maybe this is something else, like thumbnails, that will get fixed in the future.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ralfyguy1 wrote:

Well, that's not what I envisioned. No PC Access makes it useless to me then.

FWIW, I agree PC access is needed.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation