VMB4000 - EOL Clarification

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GetArlohelp-
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 4 - Pro 3 cameras on our VMB4000 base, purchased in 2018.

Please clarify the updated EOL Policy on this system. The way we understand it, is that we will continue to have access to 7 days of cloud storage, free of charge. PLEASE correct me if this is wrong.

My questions are:

1. Will we still be receiving the notifications of movement?

2. Will we receive "critical security updates" for only one year?

I have read several articles and have not seen the answers to the above questions.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GetArlohelp-
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks much! This has been helpful. My cameras are VMC4030.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GetArlohelp- wrote:

We have 4 - Pro 3 cameras on our VMB4000 base, purchased in 2018.

Please clarify the updated EOL Policy on this system.

Pro 3 cameras are not on the EOL list.

@GetArlohelp- wrote:

The way we understand it, is that we will continue to have access to 7 days of cloud storage, free of charge. PLEASE correct me if this is wrong.

Pro 3 cameras do not have (and have never had) 7 days of free cloud storage.  All newer camera models (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription for any cloud storage.  That includes the Pro 3.

If you do have free cloud storage now, then you must have Pro 2 cameras.  You can check by opening the housing of one of the cameras, and removing the battery.  There's a label inside.

GetArlohelp-
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will check the model of my cameras. My receipt from purchase says "Pro-3", so I was going by that.

We have had free 7 day storage since we purchased.

That being said, do you have insight to my questions?

Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GetArlohelp- wrote:

I will check the model of my cameras. My receipt from purchase says "Pro-3", so I was going by that.

We have had free 7 day storage since we purchased.

Assuming you actually have Pro 2 cameras - 

• The EOL date is 1 Jan 2025, so about 2 years out.
  • Arlo is committing to providing security updates until 1 January 2026.
  • Originally they said they would stop 7-day free cloud storage on the EOL date, but they reversed that.
  • They are saying that email motion notifications will stop on 1 July 2023, but push notifications should continue after that.
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Slightly off topic, you can now identify the arlo camera model number from the app by selecting the settings menu/support/the camera wanted and go to the bottom to show  the details that gives the model number. They just now need to add the camera model name going forward.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

you can now identify the arlo camera model number from the app by selecting the settings menu/support/the camera wanted and go to the bottom to show  the details that gives the model number. 

Definitely a step forward, especially in cases where it's difficult to access the camera.

FWIW, Feed shows the full model (including the H revision) in its device info screen - VMC4041PAerH2 for example.  A bit cryptic at the end for us (likely useful for support), but still a step forward. 

Though it would be even better if it also said "Pro 4".

GetArlohelp-
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks much! This has been helpful. My cameras are VMC4030.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The VMC4030 model is the arlo pro camera which gets impacted by the EOL policy first up.

From the policy document:

Upon the EOL Effective Date, the following may occur for the EOL’d Arlo Product:

• No support
  • No firmware upgrades
  • No bug fixes
  • No maintenance releases
  • No workarounds or patches
  • No spare parts
  • No replacement devices
  • Bundled services or features may be reduced or eliminated
  • Future services or features may be unavailable
  • Some automatic email alerts and push notifications may be reduced or eliminated
  • Offers, discounts, and coupons to purchase newer Arlo products may be given
  • For an Arlo Product that is a service, Arlo customers may be migrated to the closest
    equivalent service or given an offer to change their service plan
    • Arlo will continue to provide critical security updates for hardware to one year beyond the
    hardware’s EOL....
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation