Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Two step authentication. What camera companies aren't using that or let the owner be in charge?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Elder_Berry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had to finally do Arlo's unilateral order for 2-factor authentication. It locked me out of cameras for hours while away because I couldn't get the email for my phone to enter the code. Tried to sign on to Arlo and got the demand for the code. Go to email on the phone which wipes out the code page and starts over.  Quite the circus from Arlo who clearly didn't bother to test any of this. Anyway, are there security cams out there that let the owner decide their own security level?

Contacted Arlo and asked to be let off this. They're very apologetic about forcing people unilaterally into this but tough shi-te.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not like this is new - Arlo has been requesting this for nearly a year. I have no idea why switching to the activation email would wipe out the code page - that's a function of the phone. You could always use a second device the view the email if needed.

As for other camera companies, perhaps you've forgotten the hubbub around Ring and others being "hacked" due to poor password usage and how they then forced 2FA on their users. It can be a small inconvenience, similar to using your bank app, but eliminates a lot of issues.

Elder_Berry
Aspirant
Aspirant

I could have had a second device IF I had been home.  But I wasn't. I assumed clearing their security on one device would be sufficient, it wasn't. They locked me out of the system for hours until I could get home and go through their rigamarole. If a customer doesn't want this, why should they be made to have it unilaterally without consent or comment?

As to the phone, why wouldn't anyone test their authentication system out on these devices first? Flip to a different page to get their code and their "security" starts over. But I have to flip to a page to get their code off the email, catch 22. But if you're big enough, why give about what customers want? Right?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation