Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Still trying to decide on a camera system

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I'm still trying to decide on a camera system I have tried the Essentials and the Pro 3s, both seem to have a lot of latency. As an example when I'm setting the cameras up, when I move the camera and I'm watching my cell phone it takes up to 10, 15 maybe 20 seconds to see a response on my phone. This also continues during all normal operations.

I currently have a set of the Eufy 2C cameras, side by side with the Pro 3s and they do not have the latency issue so I'm not going to blame my internet. (CenturyLink copper DSL, just looked at my phone 78 Mbs), still waiting for the starlink setup.

They do however lately after about 2 weeks, go offline and I'm yet to find an answer to this problem. I posted messages to that forum, but every message you post needs to be approved by the moderator and that can take up to 3 days. By then I've either figured out a solution or lost interest in the problem altogether.
Enter sarcastic face here.

The Eufys also do not have USB storage capability at this point. So I'm really thinking of going back to Arlo my question here is, my latency issue, is it inherent with those two cameras I've tried, or will it just be something I have to live with? I would pay the price for the 4Ks but I don't know that I have a display that will display 4K so would it even be worth it, opinions on that?

Fortunately I know it won't take 3 days to get an answer to this question LOL.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That much latency generally implies a connection issue between the camera and whatever it's connected to, hub or router. What happens if you bring a camera closer to the connection point? If using a hub, try moving it as far as practical from the router. Also check for any other wireless device near either the cameras and/or router/hub that also uses the 2.4GHz band.

billrigsby
Aspirant
Aspirant

I should rephrase that (I had cameras side by side), I did return the Arlos,

will also be returning the Eufys.

The only other device using the router is my Samsung Phone, no signal here so it is on the WIFI.

If I recall correctly, even when setting up / charging and the cameras were in the same room as the 

hub, the latency was still there.

On the next set I can try rearranging the hub from the router and see if that helps.

Is the video quality, especially night time, substantially better on the 4K cameras vs 1080p and 2K?

Bill

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only if there's enough light. That's one reason the spotlight is included, to provide more light compared to the IR night vision LEDs. It's not a powerful spotlight - if that's what you need consider the Pro 3 floodlight.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@billrigsby wrote:

Is the video quality, especially night time, substantially better on the 4K cameras vs 1080p and 2K?

I see some improvement with 2K, but 4K looks pretty close to 2K to me (both day and night).  That is in part because of the low bitrates Arlo uses.  There might be a bigger difference in the photos.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation