Smart Hub VMB4540r2 blinking orange light

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mouser99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 3 Pro 3 cameras connected to the Smart Hub, and it has worked pretty flawlessly for many years. Now the Smart Hub light just blinks orange all the time. When I open the app, it says "Your Arlo device appears offline". I have tried unplugging the Smart Hub and plugging it back in, unplugging my router and plugging it back in, restarting the Smart Hub via the app, and changing the Ethernet cable to a different one. None of these things worked. What else can I do?

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mouser99 wrote:

I have tried unplugging the Smart Hub and plugging it back in, unplugging my router and plugging it back in, restarting the Smart Hub via the app, and changing the Ethernet cable to a different one. None of these things worked. What else can I do?

If you can restart the smarthub via the app, then it must be on-line.  Can you confirm that you can restart it?

Assuming its not the base - are all the cameras showing off-line?  Or just some?

Also, are you getting recordings despite the off-line status?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This can be due to various reasons. Here's an FAQ that shows the typical LED meanings:

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean

Based on the above, it could be that at least one camera has a connection issue. Try moving cameras closer for testing, starting with the one that's the farthest away.

Another thing to try is to move your hub as far away as possible from the router. 

Finally, I recently had an issue where my hub was frequently blinking and showing offline. Reboots of the hub and router, etc. didn't help. I ultimately removed power from my modem, router and hub which somehow resolved the issue. I have no explanation for this.

Mouser99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can tap the "restart device" button, but it does not fix the problem. And I tried that again and this time got an error message: API response is unsuccessful: call: VuezoneHttpClientRetrofitAdapter, http status code: 200, error: 2059, message: Device is offline., reason: Device Unreachable.

The cameras have not recorded anything for the last 3 days.

Mouser99
Aspirant
Aspirant

All 3 cameras show as offline. I was assuming a range issue wouldn't suddenly affect all the cameras simultaneously. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I didn't mention the Restart Device for a reason - I mentioned turning off power (unplugging, etc.) to the modem, router and hub that worked for me.

And, yes, happening to all cameras at once seems to not indicate a range issue. It could be interference from a 2.4GHz wireless device near the hub. Did you move the hub away from the router?

Mouser99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I already tried unplugging modem, router, and hub. It didn't help. I will try moving the hub.

Mouser99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I moved it as far away as I could. It's limited by how long the ethernet cable is. Still blinking orange. Cameras still show offline.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That should be far enough to help. It may be that the hub has failed in some way.

While it's a PITA, removing all devices from your account, resetting the hub by holding the reset button for >15 seconds until the LED flashes amber (differently), and then add the hub back. That will remove any weirdness and will also tell you if the hub is good or not.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation