Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Securing Magnet Mount on a drywall with studs

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jfag
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have found that the screws provided with the Magnet Mount are so small and short that they will secure the magnet mount in only a few surfaces and will not secure the Pro 3 camera to a wall made with drywall over studs, even with the anchors provided.  I'm wondering if anyone has figured out a way to secure a magnet mount to such walls.  I'd appreciate any suggestions provided.  thank you

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The screws are too short to really mount into a stud but a hardware store would have longer ones. Use of the plastic anchors allows you to not have to locate a stud and will secure the mount sufficiently. Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?

jfag
Aspirant
Aspirant

The screws that come with the mount are 5/8" and I've been unable to find same size screw (which will fit through the plastic piece that holds the mount) any longer than 1" plus I've tried the anchor and provided screw into drywall and once the camera is being held by the mount, everything pulls out of the vertical wall.  In other words the screw and anchor provided is insufficient to secure the magnet mount onto a wall made with drywall and studs.  That is the problem I'm trying to solve.  Plus i would have loved to use the magnet mount on my exterior stucco walls and once I discovered the screws and anchors wouldn't work on my drywall, I made no attempt to try it on stucco.  I guess the provided materials would work if attached to wood or metal.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you drilled the holes in the drywall too large if the anchors are pulling out. There's no reason the supplied anchors and screws shouldn't work.

For stucco or other hard surfaces, some creativity is needed. Different positioning (on the soffit?) may be needed or appropriate anchors for the surface. Also, stucco has a wire mesh supporting the stucco which usually has a negative effect on the signal strength between the hub and camera. You may need to move the hub closer to the camera to overcome this if it's a problem.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation