Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
ArloInAustralia
Tutor
Tutor

I've had a schedule set up for all three cameras : on detecting motion between 6.30am and 10.30pm record video. Outside of those times, record video and send a push notification.

Today, without any settings being changed, ALL motion during the 'record video only' time is sending a push notification. I changed the mode to 'disabled', and it's still sending push notifications.

Same problem as listed here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Push-Notifications-Won-t-Stop-Even-When-Turned-Off/m-p/175084...

In that case, an Arlo admin said it was a back-end problem that has been solved. Maybe this is a per-user issue, as a family member with the same model camera living five minutes away is not having this issue.

Another user said to check the Smart notifications as they may override the push notifications. I disabled all of those bar one (which shouldn't detect anything). This didn't solve the problem.

Firmware 2.16.1_3 (May 05, 2020).

48 REPLIES 48
ArloInAustralia
Tutor
Tutor

You've nailed it. All I've heard is that the case has been 'escalated'.

I'm exceptionally close to throwing in the towel and asking for a refund. The disappointing thing is that I'm meant to be recommending a system for my community and after installing the 3 camera Pro 3 system at a relative's and the same system at mine, I was about to recommend the same system for those in my community that wanted it (they buy it, I install it.)

The system at my relative's place is not having this 'unwanted push notifications' issue, but I am. And I have no interest in recommending and then installing dozens of the same systems if even one of them get the same problem that we've been having.

Is there a way to export my system's settings into an XML file or something? Can I send someone at Arlo my config so they can tell me where the problem is? That previous ticket with the same issue that was closed indicated that the problem was at the Arlo end... but there was no mention of what the actual problem was. If it truly was at the Arlo end, then surely they can replicate the solution for us?

This lack of communication and clarity is disappointing.

I guess it's time to start researching alternative products.

HanserT
Guide
Guide

This problem seems to apply to all or most of the products so I assume it is either a Base Station or Arlo back-end issue. It's been around for a few years and affects many users across the world too. It would be nice to get a response and not see this thread closed until a solution is found.

Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I don’t want to speak too soon but I’ve not had any ‘motion’ notifications this morning but can see some motion videos in my library. I have had ‘person’ notifications though, which makes me think it appears to be working as I’ve configured it. Will see how it goes over the next week.
Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yesterday it all worked as intended but today I’m back to receiving unwanted notifications!
ArloInAustralia
Tutor
Tutor
How frustrating. I am failing to see a pattern as it happens to me with all cameras, but there isn't any regularity as to when the push notifications ignore the settings.

Not as frustrating as the lack of communication from Arlo though 🤷‍♂️
HanserT
Guide
Guide

Let's try and add as much detail as we can to help Arlo. For me,

• The push notifications are sent to both Android and iOS apps simultaneously
  • They are only sent when motion has been detected; there are no 'false' notifications without motion
  • The notifications say "motion" detected. I don't think they ever say 'person', 'vehicle' or 'animal'
  • The triggering motion can be outside the activity zone
  • Email notification and Push notification are disabled

Is this what others see? Any other thoughts?

There is a similar thread on the Ultra product area too:
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Notifications-all-over-the-place-even-though-they-are-unche...

Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, my notification state Person, Animal, Vehicle or just motion. It matches what’s recorded in the library. Eg. ‘Motion Alert
Person Detected on Cam1 at 12:00’
Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
The point is you can choose the type of motion you get notified for. I have ‘all other motion’ turned off so should only get Person, Animal or Vehicle
StephanWithCam
Tutor
Tutor

i have turned off "other motion" in the smart notifications but make no difference for the unwanted notifications.

I got other-motions notifications as well. And i have also the same behavior for activity zones. i have a tree in my activity zone and changed it with tree outside the zone. But again no change in my lovely push notifications i got every day:-)

yesterday morning there are no notifications but after a short time of happiness they came back in the afternoon

Bryfon
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem on the French forum...

I thought that the problem would be solved with the new version of the app 2.17.1 ...but no!

It's stange no problem yesterday morning! but since last night it is again the war of notifications. :'(

Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
After a few days of notifications working as I figured the problem has returned but it’s intermittent.. so not every ‘motion’ motion pushes a notification. That would suggest maybe a problem with a load balancer. Possibly one rogue load balancer in a cluster so it depends on which one is handling the push notifications. It’s definitely not as bad as it was when I received every general motion alert. My system is currently configured to only receive push notifications for People, Animals & vehicles.
Boffinboy
Star
Star
Very disappointing that it’s just radio silence from Arlo. The issue still exists. This used to occur months ago. It’s like the same bugs constantly come back. Same with geofencing functionality frequently breaking
Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
I agree, it would be nice to have some level of communication from Arlo to explain what the problem is or what they’re doing about it. For me it seems to have resolved over the last week. It would be more professional to have been provided with an explanation or summary of what’s been happening. Even if it’s just to say that they’re aware of the issue and working to resolve it.
dcfox1
Master
Master

jessica posted earlier today in other forums one in Ultra  that they should be working now. I Had problems with the notifications the last several days but I haven't seen any yet today.  Not sure if it addressed those in some threads getting notification but not getting recordings  I never had that. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cloud fix was deployed that should address the accuracy of Smart notifications. The development team is continuing to monitor this issue. Please let us know if you continue experiencing unwanted Smart notifications.

JamesC

Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
That’s great news. Thanks for the update.
dcfox1
Master
Master

Ok now I just received a notification with no label never had that  but have a recording of it  labeled  as "motion"  which it should . 

Also two of 4 cams have the AC error I never had not sure if just a temp glitch in fix. I'll see later how it pans out but we are going into a weekend. If a mod is still here the AC error is only on IOS app not the web. 

HanserT
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the update. It will be great to get this fixed.

dcfox1
Master
Master

After posting last evening I noticed the two cameras that had AC error and notifications problem they some how were removed from my active cams.  They were there in the morning. Now everything is normal. A simple thing but don't know why it happened. 

ArloInAustralia
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC the issue has not been solved.
I received no push notifications for a couple of days after your message, despite all three of my cameras regularly detecting motion during my 'don't send push notifications' period (10.30pm -- 6.30am.)

Today, however, I have received a string of notifications from my cameras. Nothing had changed with my set-up, and in the app I confirmed that the current mode (as determined by my custom schedule) is my 'no push notification' mode.

The odd thing is that it isn't every detected movement that is sending push notifications, and I'm unable to tell what the happen is that determines whether or not one is sent.

ChrisNL
Initiate
Initiate
Same here. Fixed for a couple of days. Since sunday it started sending false notifications again....
StephanWithCam
Tutor
Tutor
Its really a big mess. Same on my side: a few days without messages and then they came back. Must be some kind of
troubleshooting on server side and it would be nice to have some more information about that. I will cancel my smart-abo now since i can read here from other users that the problem is finally solved. Br Stephan
SOCALuser
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue with a just added PRO 3 to my vmb4000 and am getting push notifications with every detected movement with notifications off.  

Moojoose
Aspirant
Aspirant
After a couple of weeks of the notifications working as configured my system is now back to sending unwanted notifications.
Discussion stats
  • 48 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation