Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 3, out of the box, "No Arlo devices found" trying to add base

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JohnnyRico
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just opened the Pro 3 box and have been trying for 3 hours to add the base. I always get "No Arlo devices found". I've tried just about everything I know.

I have wired ethernet, and the base is plugged into a wall jack, not the router; I don't think this should matter. Using the router's configuration, I have verified that the base has been assigned an IP address (identified the base via its MAC). I have a ping app on my phone, and I've verified that I can ping the base from my phone, so both are on the home network.

I've hard reset the base multiple times without any success. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the Android app without success. 

Here's the process I've tried a zillion times:

I plug the ethernet from the wall into the base. I plug the power from the wall into the base. The light comes on solid orange. After a while, it changes to solid blue.

In the app, I then:

• Add New Device
  • Base Station/Hub
  • Continue on Plug an Ethernet cable, because it is already plugged in
  • Continue on Power your Base Station, because it is already powered up and showing a blue light

I get Looking for your Arlo device for a few minutes, and then No Arlo devices found.

I've tried TRY AGAIN with no success.

I've tried a variation in which I did not start with the base powered on and blue; I plugged the ethernet and power in during the add process as directed by the app. In this case, I waited until the light was blue before proceeding with the find process. Still no success and the base is not found.

I've tried variations of all of these steps without success. I've swapped out the ethernet cable with a known good one of my own; that was useless since the base had an IP, but in my desperation, tried it anyway.

I've gone into NEED HELP and tried the meager suggestions there without success. I've tried to open a support chat and gave up on that after 20 minutes without a response. I'm hoping someone here can clue me in on what the issue is or provide some non-noob troubleshooting suggestions that don't involve power cycling my router or such nonsense. I have Philips Hue bulbs that have a similar architecture with a base station; plugged that thing into the wall and it just worked, just like every other network device I have in my house. This is rather ridiculous. Please have pity on me, and tell me the secret to this thing. I only want to put a couple stupid cameras in my house.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe try to add it from a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com)?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe try to add it from a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com)?

JohnnyRico
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well. That worked great. The base was found immediately. Thanks for the help! I had no idea that this could be done via my online account webpage, there was no mention of this option in the quick start or troubleshooting help. Or anywhere online when I Googled this issue. I'm glad I'm up and running but sure wish I hadn't wasted the afternoon on this. Bad out-of-box experience for a new user. But thank you again!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JohnnyRico wrote:

Well. That worked great. The base was found immediately. Thanks for the help! 

I'm glad we were able to help.

MrEngenic
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem and have spent all day. For me the web site does not work either (multiple attempts).

JohnnyRico
Aspirant
Aspirant

MrEngenic, did you select Base Station/Hub when adding the first device? The first several times, I picked Pro (camera) and of course that didn't work. Finally figured out that I should have picked the base first. I found this confusing because in my head I was adding cameras and I was not thinking about the base. And also, the cameras were at the top of the page and the base station had to be sought out all the way at the bottom of the page. The app did this similarly confusingly. I find this to be a bad design; there should be guidance that first asks if you are setting up a new system, and if so, leads you to add the base.

Another thing to verify is that the device (laptop, desktop, etc) where you are accessing my.arlo.com is on the same network as the base. For example, you may have a guest Wi-Fi that your laptop has automatically connected to, while the base is on the regular home network.

MrEngenic
Aspirant
Aspirant
It worked after a reset. I added the base station first.

The system works now but poorly. I have to wait 6-10s for livestreams, sometimes up to a minute.
But I wonder how the hub can connect to the internet. I dont remember entering the passcode for the network anywhere in the setup process
dcfox1
Master
Master

@MrEngenic wrote:
But I wonder how the hub can connect to the internet. I dont remember entering the passcode for the network anywhere in the setup process

The hub connects directly to the internet through the router not your wifi network so no password needed. The cams connect to the hub on it's own wifi network. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation