Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 3 hub - using a Tablet? SKU: VMS4240P-100NAS

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tom396
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just ordered the above unit.  My internet is poor here, and I wanted local storage.  

I would like to use a tablet to view outside cameras while in the house.  Can I use an Amazon Fire HD10 for this?

I understand using my phone needs an app, but I would like a bigger screen while I am at home.  Either the tablet or a PC within the house would be ideal

5 REPLIES 5
dcfox1
Master
Master

You can view it through the web page at my.arlo.com on an internet enabled device. I use a tablet often as I like a bigger screen also. I would think you could use the Amazon Fire HD10 as long as it has a browser but someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Tom396
Aspirant
Aspirant

I guess I was hoping for some sort of intra-net solution.

My WiFi is solid, and my local network is reliable.  My connection to the internet is not.  Many times I can't get a stable upload speed above 1mbps  Download usually less than 6mbps.  48ms pings are common, dropouts also common.   It is not possible to stream a TV show on the Roku without stopping several times to load.  On bad days the Roku simply won't connect - "no stable upstream" error.

So watching the cameras in real time may not be possible if it requires the internet.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tom396,

With those speeds, you may experience issues as they do not meet the minimum requirements for Arlo. For more information, take a look here: What are the minimum requirements for installing and using my Arlo system?

JamesC

Tom396
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, that does not sound so good.

When I ordered the cameras and Hub, I called the support number and asked.  I was told the hub could support 10 cameras, and a 1Tb USB drive.  It sounded like the hub was capable of stand alone operation, and only needed an internet connection for cloud storage.  The person on the phone was not a native english speaker, so maybe I missed something.

So the camera all need to talk to the internet all the time?  Even with local storage?

If this is the only way they work, I will send all 4 cameras and the hub back as soon as they get here.

Cnet made the arlo sound like the best camera ever - I was looking forward to replacing my aging 720p wired system - after a recent burglary the B&W images were not good enough to get the police interested in helping.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The minimum requirements really are for cloud recording. The system needs the Internet to be able to managed but that traffic should be minimal. I would try it but cancel the trial subscription when the cameras are installed. Loss of Internet would be a problem but poor speeds may not be that big an issue. You can then return the system if it doesn't work out.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation