Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
xmyass
Tutor
Tutor

Have got a pro 3 camera connected via the magnetic charging cable to continuous power.  Camera is thus fully charged.  Everything works just as it should, but I now have this constant cycling of 10 rapid flashing blue lights, followed by about 5 secs of nothing, and then repeats, continuously.  If I unplug the charging cable, this stops.  I thought I could have these cameras continually connected to mains power rather than having to rely on battery? Also, when I look in devices in the app, the battery gauge changes from battery power, to the green charging battery image, in sync with the light flashing.  So its on 'charge' for 5 secs, and then off, etc.   How do I disable this constant blue light flashing? 

thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The 10 flash LED operation is not documented so could be a fault condition.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/ArloPro3/Arlo_Pro3_UM.pdf#page12 

Can you live stream ok while the camera led is flashing? The camera may be rebooting if not. 

Could be a faulty camera, cable or charging adapter. Are you using the arlo approved components?

You can turn the LED off  by disabling it in the camera settings. 

xmyass
Tutor
Tutor

@DannyBearAgain Thanks for reply.

- Yes I can live stream - 90% of the time.  Sometimes it won't connect , sometimes it takes a few goes, sometimes it is immediate. But net net, I am most times able to connect and stream.

- So here is the wrinkle/possible issue: I am using a coupler to connect the existing Arlo charging cable (from a pro 2), to the Arlo pro 3 cable, that then connects to camera.   It certainly works in being able to charge the camera so it can power it.  But, I just removed the arlo 2 cable from the equation and the camera is now working as one would expect, with no flashing blue lights, and in the app the charge icon is showing and constant green, rather than alternating rapidly between green charging icon and the white battery icon.  

I guess the question then is, is this an issue running the power cabling as I have done (as I actually have the Arlo Pro 2 cabling going behind a wall so not ideal to be changing this out!), and having the constant alternating icons in the app - and also disabling the lights, so im not seeing a blue light disco constantly?

thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@xmyass wrote:

I guess the question then is, is this an issue running the power cabling as I have done (as I actually have the Arlo Pro 2 cabling going behind a wall so not ideal to be changing this out!), and having the constant alternating icons in the app - and also disabling the lights, so im not seeing a blue light disco constantly?

thanks

Sounds like it is either that cabling, or something going on with the charger itself.

xmyass
Tutor
Tutor

Pretty sure its not the charger, as that works fine when I have the pro 3 cable plugged directly between it and the camera.  But again, the unknown for me now is can I have the system as I set it up (with the coupler joining the two cables), and disable the rapid blue flashing etc..?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Can you provide further details on the cable coupler in use?

The pro2 cameras came with a QC charger that could charge at the higher voltage since the pro2 battery is 7.2v where the pro3 camera uses a 3.8v battery.

If you’re using the pro2 charger for the pro3 camera as well as the pro2 cable it could be confusing the charger about what charging voltage is required, 5v or 9v and hence the pro3 shudders.

you could try changing the charge adapter to a standard 5v type to see if it gets resolved.

xmyass
Tutor
Tutor

@DannyBearAgain So i swapped out the charge adapter i was using, and replaced with the one that came with the Pro 3 cameras.   This MAY have done the trick.  As now i have just a solid blue light, which i understand means the camera is connected to a power source, and the app is showing the constant green powered icon.  I will revert if that fails to maintain itself.   What is interesting is that the adapter i remvoed (which happened to be the right colour for the power plate it was plugged into thus the reason for using it ), has stated on it 'Output = 5v = 850mA' (its an old blackberry charger).   The coupler is a very basic one i purchased on ebay, not sure if can post a link in here, but if you search USB 2.0 A Female to Micro USB Female Socket Adapter Connector Extender Coupler  it brings it up.   thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@xmyass wrote:

The coupler is a very basic one  USB 2.0 A Female to Micro USB Female Socket Adapter Connector Extender Coupler  it brings it up.   

FWIW, I have used similar adapters (though most recently for USB-C to USB-A), and have found that they sometimes don't work for charging.  Though that doesn't seem to be the issue in your case.

@xmyass wrote:

the adapter i removed (which happened to be the right colour for the power plate it was plugged into thus the reason for using it ), has stated on it 'Output = 5v = 850mA' (its an old blackberry charger).   

850 mA is underpowered by today's standards (usually new chargers deliver about 2 amps).  On top of that, there is loss in the cable - likely higher in your case, due to the microusb-usb-a connector.

So I think the original issue was caused by the camera simply not getting enough power.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation