Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Port Forwarding Arlo VM4540 Does Not Work

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
knguyen0404
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have attempted to set up port forwarding several times using the instructions provided.  I see there are still a lot of issues with port forwarding from the forum even after the recent app release on 6/25/20 on Android.

The basic issue is that I am trying to connect to the base station remotely to view videos when I am not connected to my home wifi.  And yes, I am using a local USB storage device that is actively connected to the Arlo Base Station.  I have no problem accessing the local storage device when I am connected via my home wifi.   I have checked and double check port forwarding instructions and settings on my router but it still does not work.

Arlo Tech Support gives me the run around and does not know how to solve the problem.  

If anyone knows how to solve this issue, please provide specific instructions.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
knguyen0404
Aspirant
Aspirant
8 REPLIES 8
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

As Port Forwarding is a router side thing, you might get more help if you told people what your router is.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
knguyen0404
Aspirant
Aspirant
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@knguyen0404 wrote:

My router is a Netgear WNDR3700.

That's an ancient (11-year old) device. It should be able to handle port forwarding, but it may not be as easy to set up as newer routers.

Arlo support won't be skilled in configuring routers that old. In any case, that is a router issue and not really something that you can expect them to handle.

I assume that you have set up port forwarding on the WNDR3700 and that your router isn't running in access point mode.

Without knowing what you have done on the router, it is impossible to diagnose why it goes wrong. Maybe a screen shot of those settings would provide a real network expert with more to go on.

If you need details on the router's setting, you can visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

There were issues with port forwarding a while back, but it seems to have settled down now. At least, there isn't the flood of complaints that once hit this place.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
knguyen0404
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

To answer your questions:

Yes I have set up port forwarding on the WNDR3700 and Yes my router isn't running in access point mode.

1 other consideration/question:  My Netgear WNDR3700 router is connected to a modem supplied by Comcast/xFinity which provide me with internet access and I believe serves as a gateway.  Comcast/xFinity modem model and vendor is X5001 by ARRIS Group, Inc..   I see it can also provide port forwarding however, I am hesitant to connect the Arlo Base Station to the Comcast/xFinity modem since it is located in the basement and far away from the cameras.

Suggestions?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@knguyen0404 wrote:

My Netgear WNDR3700 router is connected to a modem supplied by Comcast/xFinity which provide me with internet access and I believe serves as a gateway.  Comcast/xFinity modem model and vendor is X5001 by ARRIS Group, Inc..   

Oh dear. The X5001 looks like a modem/router. That was one of my next questions. 

It means that you have two routers on your network. That is a recipe for trouble. It results in something called double NAT, with two routers trying to manage addressing. I can see why port forwarding might not work.

You have a couple of options, the best would be to put the X5001 into modem only (bridge) mode. You'll have to ask the ISP or someone who is familiar with the device for help.

The alternative is to use the WNDR3700 in access point mode and then use the X5001 as your router.

Port forwarding happens on the router.

There may be more complicated ways around the double-NAT thing, but that is outside my comfort zone.

Just another user
knguyen0404
Aspirant
Aspirant

I took your second recommendation and set up the WNDR3700 in access point mode and then use the X5001 as my router.

Then I went to set up a Port forwarding on the router.

By golly it worked!

Clearly Arlo needs to provide more troubleshooting information to help with network scenarios since their app depends on proper network setup.

I hope Arlo is reading this thread and add your helpful instructions to their manual.

Thank you so much!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@knguyen0404 wrote:

By golly it worked!

That's good news.

If you spot my wifi interference between the gateway and the Netgear router, you might like to turn off the gateway's wifi.

@knguyen0404 wrote:

Clearly Arlo needs to provide more troubleshooting information to help with network scenarios since their app depends on proper network setup.

Nice idea, but ask yourself how may combinations of modems, gateways and routers there are out there from different brands.

Arlo sells cameras, not networks. It expects us to get this stuff to work on out own systems.

What it could do is to offer some general guidance, including using this place for help.

Just another user
knguyen0404
Aspirant
Aspirant
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation