Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Not recording

Discussion stats
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Cummon Arlo , both me and my father having the same issue yesterday and today in the UK, getting loads of notifications but random cameras actually not recording.
We have both restarted hubs with no change.
These are not cheap cameras and i feel like I've purchased cheap!
300 REPLIES 300
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
No worries, thanks for your response
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Quick question, I'm not sure if you have this issue, but I have had this occasionally but yesterday for one of my cameras it was happening most of the day then stop detecting motion. Then this morning started detecting a bit more normally, but will watch.

I noticed that sometimes my cameras record for 5 minutes straight even though the motion was only 10-30 seconds of activity. That happened very frequently yesterday for one of my cameras and then it stopped detecting motion for most things. I rebooted and it helped slightly for maybe 30 minutes and issue came back and didn't record for the whole night and then resumed again this morning a bit more normally. It happens to my other cameras occasionally too

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have mine set for 1 minute, but I have the same issues in the sense that it will record for 33 seconds etc
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I turned my smart off again as of yesterday and I am watching my recordings closely, so far it's picked up 100% motion, I fear my detection is the smart again!
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I had one camera to completely stop recording Thursday morning. After I noticed that it missed everything for most of the day (I drove past the camera and walked past it several times) I went to the app to see if it would live view, which it did then everything started working again. I also noticed on the same camera that my wife left in our car the other day and the same camera never recorded her leaving or returning. This is not what I purchased these cameras for...… frustrating to say the least. I have a open case in progress for another problem, after that one is solved I'll look more into this problem.

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
That sounds more like what I'm getting, I just know that as soon as the only thing worth recording happens it's going to fail!
We are opening cases for our individual cameras when clearly nothing we can do our end is going to help, this is all software issues or server problems arlo's end.
If we had our cameras in the wrong place restarting wouldn't help.
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Same here. This morning the issue came back, where it missed majority of the motion. For me, it started about yesterday, where it was recording like 5 minute videos (usually it's only a short time frame depending on how long the motion lasts for). But yesterday it was recording 5 minute ultra laggy videos, then it just stopped recording entirely. I left the house in the morning and it record, but afternoon return was missed. Then basically the entire day and night's motion was just not detected at all. This morning was slightly better for like an hour then it came back.

This is so frustrating!

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234 @K80Shooter 

Hi! Just wondering if the two of you are having issues? Yesterday, one of my cameras started recording 2-5 minute recordings (despite motion only being under a min) then it stopped completely. I rebooted it last night and worked for like 30 minutes and didn't work all night. It just didn't record 😞 

With my issue yesterday, I noticed it either didn't record, or it detected motion (with the orange motion turned on) but no notifications or recording. Arlo had an update for the app, and I updated but after that it doesn't let me turn off Arlo Smart. 

Think I need to submit another case with Arlo again.

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I turned off smart after my last message and it hasn't missed anything since then.
Strange you cant turn it off now
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not having any recording issues for now. I sometimes wish mine would record for a little longer. The majority of my recordings are 15 to 20 seconds. I have it set to record until motion stops which in a lot of instances is too soon as it instantly starts recording again. I really do not want to set it to record for a set length of time.

I'm still using smart notifications which works pretty good. Have you tried to edit smart notifications and dragging all the cameras to the deactivate smart notification section to turn them off?

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234 

Thank you very much for the quick reply! May I ask how you turned off your smart? I.e. to inactive or manually off for each option (i.e. motion, person, etc). I tried inactive and it doesn't detect anything at all. Then I tried turning off motion, person but requires me to leave at least one thing one and not everything off. 

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@K80Shooter 

Thank you very much for your quick reply! I have tried that, but when it's inactive, it doesn't detect motion for me (or at least that is what happened when I last tried). But will try again!

This morning, it detected motion but no notification or library recording. Going to have to try opening another case for this 😞

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I went into
Settings
Smart
The clicked edit at top right
The held the 3 dashes next to that camera and dragged down
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Sorry that was poorly typed.
I went into Settings, then
Smart, then clicked edit at top right corner, I then held the 3 dashes next to that camera and it dragged down into inactive or remove
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Shaun1234 

Thanks so much! I'll give that a try. Submitted a new case with Arlo, who asked me to put the cameras all on balance between video quality/battery life and give that a try too. Will try both these out and see if it helps!

Thank you!

Bluehawaii
Aspirant
Aspirant
What’s the solution? I hv Arlo Pro 2 and got an ARLO Pro 3 Camera. It alerts me to motion but no pictures or video in library!
Bluehawaii
Aspirant
Aspirant
HELP!!!! I do not see the sense of buying subscription until I see a resolution to ARLO Pro 3 recording problem!
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
You need to check if your Arlo pro 2 base is fully compatible with pro 3 camera and the pro 3 needs a paid or free trial subscription to record
LensCleaner
Star
Star

Just by way of an update. I have found that my cameras still miss recording to the cloud here and there but I've put an SD card in the base and I seem to get all the recordings I expect on that.

Bluehawaii
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can you view without downloading to a computer or through the app? I read that u had to actually physically download it that way, which defeats the purpose of a smart camera app.
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@LensCleaner 

I had the same issue before! But haven't had the chance to check with my USB lately (because of a bigger issue where one of my cameras just stopped entirely). Have you reported this to Arlo Support? It is evident that the cloud is having some issues!

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@Bluehawaii 

You do not need to physically download to view any of the videos. They should be viewable on the App itself without any downloading. 

Bluehawaii
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok. So I got a subscription for 1 camera for Pro 3 n now it records! But I set 1 smart motion setting for “people” but it records the cars and tree branches!
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Your welcome
Sorry can't help you with that, I have smart turned off as it doesn't work for me
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Bluehawaii wrote:
Ok. So I got a subscription for 1 camera for Pro 3 n now it records! But I set 1 smart motion setting for “people” but it records the cars and tree branches!

With smart notifications you will not get notifications for unselected items but it will still give a recording that will be labeled.  Activity zones is a different function and you should not get any notifications or recordings outside the zone you set up. 

Discussion stats