Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No subscription service VMB4540 Arlo Pro3

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mikegsr66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is it possible to not have a subscription with this combination? I am new and unable to figure out how to capture and retrieve video without a subscription for two camara units and a wireless front doorbell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Mikegsr66 wrote:

I checked and it has an Arlo folder and Metadata,. 57Gb left. the drive is a PNY 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash drive 4K. I got the same result when using a USB 2.0 drive, Can't read. 

I have the camara set to look at the base station.

Within the Arlo folder do you have any folders that are titled 000000, 000001 000002 or up in  there? That is where the recordings should be if it is recording. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mikegsr66 wrote:

I am new and unable to figure out how to capture and retrieve video without a subscription for two camara units and a wireless front doorbell

The VMB4540 base supports direct access to local storage, so that is one option to eliminate the subscription.  It's not as easy to use (especially for remote access), and you can't access the local videos from your web browser.

But the wireless doorbell needs a subscription, because it can't be connected to your base.

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Mikegsr66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I will get a subscription for the doorbell. The other two camaras, even though I have a drive plugged in always says Can't retrieve the videos. Any thoughts

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mikegsr66 wrote:

The other two camaras, even though I have a drive plugged in always says Can't retrieve the videos. Any thoughts

Maybe try plugging the drive into a PC and see if anything is on it.

What drive are you using?

Mikegsr66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I checked and it has an Arlo folder and Metadata,. 57Gb left. the drive is a PNY 64 GB USB 3.0 Flash drive 4K. I got the same result when using a USB 2.0 drive, Can't read. 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Mikegsr66 wrote:

Within the Arlo folder do you have any folders that are titled 000000, 000001 000002 or up in  there? That is where the recordings should be if it is recording. 

Mikegsr66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I drilled down and it loked like the recordings are there. Thanks for your help, but I decided to go ahead and subscribe, the non-subscription appears unreliable at best.

Too much hastle.....

dcfox1
Master
Master

Glad they were there. I personally think the Subscription is worth it with the limitations of local storage. I just use it for back up. 

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation