Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
mrpetrov
Star
Star

Activity Zones keep capturing cars clearly outside the zones - see picture below. I'm just a few days into my Smart trial period. I have not got tracking nor zoom on. The Smart notifications are set to "people" only.

The issue existed both on battery and also when the camera is connected to its solar panel. 

Any help appreciated? Thanks!

arlo 3.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mrpetrov,

You might try adjusting the angle of the camera slightly to reduce the cameras field of view to the street. This may help reduce the number of false detections you're receiving.

JamesC

mrpetrov
Star
Star

Thanks for the suggestion JamesC, but doesn't that completely negate the purpose of Activity Zones...?! ie Move your camera so you don't need activity zones seems to be cutting off your nose in spite of your face.

Are Activity Zones meant to work for Ultra Pro 3 camera even when on battery, or not?

Corey123019
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the same issue. Recording far outside the activity zones. Additionally the recordings are multiple minutes with no movement present!
mrpetrov
Star
Star

Corey - check this out which is the copy of my chat with tech support today. Perhaps try what they suggested here?

https://imgur.com/a/960FG8f 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mrpetrov wrote:

Corey - check this out which is the copy of my chat with tech support today. Perhaps try what they suggested here?

https://imgur.com/a/960FG8f 

Deleting/recreating the activity zones does sometimes resolve this.  So it is worth a try.

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Some things that I have noticed with this system, you can't use zoom and track with zones, zoom and track seems to override the zones.
Now when using zones if something happens outside the zone your camera will ALWAYS see this as movement and start recording as you can't change the hardware..
But after this then it uses pixel detection movement sent to arlo, now this is where I find can be a problem, so your camera has seen movement, triggered your zones, Arlo computer checks zones, but at this point there is tiny movement from a leaf or water drop or bug at this time moving a pixel in your zone. Now this will now sent you the recording as being action in your zone
I'm sure I will be corrected but I haven't had the pro3 long but this is my personal understanding of how it works
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Or even a shadow moving will move pixels
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Shaun1234 wrote:
zoom and track seems to override the zones.

Certainly zoom and track makes it much more difficult for the cloud activity zone feature - in order for it to work, the cloud has to know exactly part of the total field of view is being sent in each frame.  

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Over the last few days I'm also having issues now.
My camera on the front of the house has full signal, at two random occasions now I've parked on the drive and walked to the front door and nothing has recorded....
Interestingly I have my whole front drive in 1 activity zone and I went straight through the middle, the camera must have picked me up though as when I look at devices it showed 12 minutes ago when I looked which means it recorded me then decided I wasn't in the zone and deleted it??...
I've now turned the zones off just to see if I still get missed recordings
Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
And just to add to my last post on top of my zone issues I have had another issue with night vision not coming on sometimes, I recommended these cameras to my dad and last night he had no night vision either on recordings...
Please sort these issues out it's embarrassing, such an expensive device in the UK yet so many faults. I just know I'm going to miss something important.
It's almost like if after no activity for a certain amount of hours they don't work.
@ James
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo recently deployed a cloud update enhancing Activity Zone accuracy. This should improve the experience for users reporting symptoms of motion detection alerts and recordings occurring outside of their defined Activity Zones. We are continuing to monitor Activity Zone behavior and will provide additional enhancements in the coming weeks.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation