Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 119 Replies
  • 28 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So within the last week 9-5-20 thru 9-13-20 I have noticed that my cameras (all 3 of them) just has not been recording most types of motion. I have recordings of people leaving my door but none of them arriving, cars leaving but never returning and such. I have personally witnessed my pets walking in front of the cameras with no recordings. Even the pesky wind motion from limbs and things are no longer getting recorded. I have increased the sensitivity levels on all of my cameras to over 96% and still nothing changes. I have rebooted the hub a couple of times with no improvement. All of my cameras are ac powered and all have strong wifi signal.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? I went from getting over a hundred recordings a day to less than 20, sometimes none. Has there been a cloud update or software update of any kind that might cause this?

119 REPLIES 119
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@mcmu12 

By no means is this a fix but try deleting your activity zones to see if this has any effect for you.

fenton11
Guide
Guide
I tried deleting the activity zones and the system started uploading very recording to the cloud but was just considered motion rather than people, animal, or vehicle. The strange thing was that it also turned on the setting where it would record if audio was detected.
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JamesC 

It's been over 72 hours and I haven't heard from support. I waited as I didn't know if support was active over the weekend or not. If not this afternoon will be 48 hours or 96 hours if they work on the weekend.

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

I actually waited an entire week and they finally got to one of my tickets.  

I did more testing.

My current setup is 3 arlo pro 3 cameras, all with charge cables connected to a zwave outlet.  The zwave enables charging from 9am to 3pm, basically trying to emulate a solar charging pattern.  When I 1st had this setup motion recordings were off by 2 or 3 secs, but as the days went on the motion recordings were finally full recordings of when the motion occurred and then it finally recorded 2-3 secs before the motion occurred.  The way I like it.  But I noticed this only occurred when the charging cable was enabled.  Yesterday I decided to leave the charging cable on the entire day. I got full motion videos, but there were times where one camera caught a motion recording but one other didn't.  Both face the same straight but different views.

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

@K80Shooter 

Arlo Support is active over the weekend as I have had multiple agents in the past who called me over the weekend. I requested Arlo Support to escalate my case yesterday and also am waiting to get an update within the next 24-48 hours. If I don't hear back I'm heading back to Arlo Support again.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@tony_2018 wrote:

When I 1st had this setup motion recordings were off by 2 or 3 secs, but as the days went on the motion recordings were finally full recordings of when the motion occurred and then it finally recorded 2-3 secs before the motion occurred.  The way I like it.  But I noticed this only occurred when the charging cable was enabled.  Yesterday I decided to leave the charging cable on the entire day. I got full motion videos

Yes the 3 second lookback, also called foresight only works on AC power or it would kill the battery in a couple days. 

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

I thought of that as pre-recording but ok.  Either way it seems to record better when a constant power adapter is connected.  Guess I have no choice but to leave it on. Now if support would get back to me on figuring out what the issue is with remote access.

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
My 3 haven’t worked at all since 9/23. Tried everything.
fenton11
Guide
Guide
I’m on the ignore list too. They were communicating with me via email for about a week then stopped. Also they said they would call me but never did.
tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have patience, but if response time is going to take longer....well....

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

I don't know if patience will be the solution. I had a case opened in March, and it remained open and pending and I was told to wait, and I waited until another came up and I submitted another case. Eventually I solved the issue myself, and closed the case in August while I now have another one pending. But that case from March - August was just silence. Most of my cases remain silent until I constantly follow up. I did meet one agent among my cases who followed up weekly until my issue was resolved (named John from Arlo L2 Support). He was the only one who was actually maintaining communication/responding to my emails. But that was like literally 1 of 20 agents I've come across.

tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

well...

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Based on my experience, I found asking @JamesC here for an update on your case as the most effective way to get an update. Every time JamesC requests for an update, I usually get a call within 24-48 hours. I suggest trying that! It's the fastest and most efficient way. Going to call them, the line takes forever, and chat works too - for status update but the wait is usually a bit lengthy!

Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Sorry, didn't mean to give you bad news - but try not to be too patient! I was pretty patient in the beginning and then got really irritated because my patience was being stretched to its maximum. I suggest asking JamesC (either private message or through this forum) for an update on status on your case number. By far, that has been the most effective way in getting someone to call you back for an update.

fenton11
Guide
Guide
At this point I’m hoping the next firmware update will correct the issue. One time the iOS app had a volume issues and when they updated the app it was fixed.
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
I just deleted the Arlo app. Reinstalled and re-added base and cameras. Back to normal now!!! Why does this have to occur at all?
fenton11
Guide
Guide
I deleted the app and reinstalled the app then removed all the activity zones. Now my system works properly.
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@fenton11  & @mcmu12 

Did either of you try to set up new activity zones or are you running without them?

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary
I can’t see activity zones on my version. But I have the original arlos. No sound for instance.
fenton11
Guide
Guide
I didn’t set any new activity zones up. The last time I deleted the activity zones the system started uploading clips every minute but this time it seems stable so far. Hoping it stays that way.
tony_2018
Apprentice
Apprentice

So I tried arlo chat today, put in my info and model of product. clicked the live chat icon.  Nothing...tried in both chrome and safari

edit: just tried from my phone. Nope.

fenton11
Guide
Guide
Okay false alarm. When I removed the activity zones the cameras starting recording every minute. This will probably deplete the battery much faster so I turned on activity zones again. Back to square 1. Ugh.
Signlguys
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I was looking to purchase some Arlo cameras since the current cameras I purchased (starts with a B and ends in link) are not picking up things they should and are picking up things they should not. I'm glad I did research on Arlo, I made the mistake of not researching the B cameras and now I'm out hundreds of dollars. I'm disappointed to read that Arlo seems to have the same issues. Now I don't know where to turn as the company that manufactured my home security system "Simpli" does not have outdoor cameras. For a long time now they have said their outdoor cameras are coming soon but then again, so is Christmas.

Any suggestions on other cameras that are worth a look at?

Thanks

fenton11
Guide
Guide
Go look on the Costco website. You can always return the system if it turns out bad within three months. I bought my system from Costco but the system only started giving me problems after the three month window to return.
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I thought that I would try what some of the others suggested and deleted the app on my Galaxy S7. I deleted my activity zones 1st then the app. I reinstalled the app and set up new activity zones. Nothing has changed for me. With activity zones set up I get no cloud recordings unless I am literally 3 or 4 feet from the camera/ I drove past my garage camera at less then 15' distance and it did not record my car leaving however 7 hours later it did record me returning. Totally unacceptable. 

As @fenton11  stated with no activity zones set I am now getting bombarded with useless recordings every minute or so. Even with the sensitivity set from 45 to 0. Even then some relevant recordings are missed. 

Discussion stats
  • 119 Replies
  • 28 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation