Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Whuff
Star
Star

After the update of the Arlo app on August 22, 2022 , when I try to access my Smarthub,I keep getting this message: There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. It has been almost a month and it is still not working!!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The VMB5000 and VMB4540 received an update yesterday. The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will have an update released today. Your Base station/SmartHub will update automatically, so please continue to wait for the updates. 

Thank you

251 REPLIES 251
Yoj
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's been a month and half since they discovered the issue, so they're obviously not in any rush to fix it.  They're probably hoping that you'll break down and pay for the subscription service. The cameras are recording to local storage and you can access the video by removing the micros.  Big pain obviously, but if you really need it...

Meow57
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is going to end up in a class action lawsuit 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue? 

DeeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still testing the recommended changes.  I would like to let it test a few more days.  I may still have questions.  Thanks for checking back.

DeeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

As far as I know direct access to the videos is not possible.  Thats why I bought the hub, but all that does is let you record locally.  For me, I have Apple HomeKit and I am disappointed that that feature is not available, HomeKit recognizes the cameras/live view but cannot access the videos, bummer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DeeMo wrote:

As far as I know direct access to the videos is not possible.  

What base station model did you purchase?  Direct Access requires either a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 smarthub

@DeeMo wrote:

HomeKit recognizes the cameras/live view but cannot access the videos, bummer.

Correct.  FWIW, I'd like to see them add that.

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes, still having issues. It has been ages.

Are there any steps to fix this?
bwdavis7
Tutor
Tutor

You can pay for subscription, but Arlo lies when they claim you view this locally without subscription. At least in my experience. This was working just fine without subscription until one of the latest updates. Right about the same time as the 2 factor authentication was required. If this is working for others without subscription (or trial), I would really like to know.

To fix this permanently, I say dump Arlo for good. I am not buying into the scheme of forcing users to pay for their stupid service when it is lacking even with subscription.  Missed motion detection, late recordings, logging in and retrieving video takes too long, all the things you need for security are severely lacking. I could do just about as good or BETTER with a wild game camera. I am letting my friends know not purchase Arlo products. The proof is right here in the community.

Jayfkuul
Guide
Guide

I'll be ready and waiting.

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is it safe to assume the feature has unofficially been removed?

Really it shouldn't take this long to resolve.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mad_cow wrote:
Is it safe to assume the feature has unofficially been removed?

No, it has not been removed.

FWIW, this is not affecting all bases.  Direct Access is working with one of my VMB5000, but not the other (even though they are configured the same way).

bwdavis7
Tutor
Tutor

I have 2 hubs, neither allowing view local. They are both recording but SD card has to be ejected and viewed on computer.

Both hubs are:

Firmware 1.19.0.3_1237_68a8e53
Hardware VMB5000r4

lvacirca
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't access my local storage even though I could last month. I haven't had a cloud subscription for over a year and have purely been using local storage accessed from my Arlo phone app. My base station is VMB5000. 

There was a recent solution posted (See link below) and it refers to the solution I can't find the setting "There is a switch under Settings --> Arlo --> Local Network"

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Local-and-Remote-Access-to-Local-Storage-for-Arlo-Ultra-via...

Does anyone know where this setting is as I don't see the 'Arlo' option under settings on my phone app or via logging online?

Thanks

Dannybear
Master
Master
I believe the switch is referenced if the phone permissions is preventing arlo app from access to your local network.
Under the iPhone settings page, scroll down to the arlo app icon, open the app settings to show the local network setting.

If not visible try deleting and reinstalling the app again, during the install you should get a pop up requesting local network access.
Remember that local access is only available via the mobile app and limited to the primary account holder and only on wifi unless you have port forwarding enabled on the router.
lvacirca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ah yes. I've checked and enabled that setting with no luck.

I've deleted and reinstalled the Arlo Secure app on my iPhone and still no luck. 

I still can't access Local storage on my local network or via 4G. Port forwarding is enabled on my router and it was working last month. 

I've also tried re-configuring my router settings with no success. I'm at a loss.

Has Arlo introduced a restriction that local storage can only be accessed via the app if you have a cloud subscription? Because I don't have a subscription and haven't had one for over a year. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
I have not seen any suggestion that local recordings now require a subscription.

There have been increasing reports for loss of local recordings access so could be arlo firmware related.

I can suggest further fault finding procedures but if you want a quick fix then maybe add a subscription to give you cloud library access and then use the arlo support feature in the app to contact and open a case number.
Then if they can resolve it, cancel the subscription although it could take months to resolve and it may not be refunded.

Have you checked if the base storage device is working, check recordings on a pc. Maybe try reformatting the USB.
lvacirca
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response and added guidance.

I think i will need to try out the subscription option and log a support ticket.

Here is what I have tried for those who are interested;

- Locally stored video's stored on micro-SD card can be viewed on PC.

- Formatted micro-SD card 

- Reinstalled Arlo Secure App

- Enabled port forwarding and tried on local network and via 4G

- Restarted Modem and router

- Enabled local network setting on iPhone

- base station and all devices connected have latest firmware

- No cloud subscription for over 12 months and locally stored files was work last month for more than a year 

Dannybear
Master
Master
I will tag the moderators, @JamesC, @ShayneS as they may want to investigate further with you.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lvacirca wrote:

There was a recent solution posted (See link below) and it refers to the solution I can't find the setting "There is a switch under Settings --> Arlo --> Local Network"

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Local-and-Remote-Access-to-Local-Storage-for-Arlo-Ultra-via...

I think you must have posted the wrong link.

But if @Dannybear is correctly guessing what you mean, then with iOS, the local network settings are found in Apple's general settings sections (scroll down to Arlo there, and then select it).  I think there is a similar setting in Android, but don't recall where it is.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've never had to select any sort of network setting on an Android phone for Arlo.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

I've never had to select any sort of network setting on an Android phone for Arlo.

There are controls in both Android and iOS that can be used to deny/allow an app use of either wifi or mobile data.  https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-block-internet-access-specific-apps-android/

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
From a customer's standpoint it certainly doesn't look good.

Seeming lack of action from the company, long time to fix or completely lack of care suggests to me they approach of if they don't have a subscription we don't care.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently that's generally only for older OS versions (the article mentions pre-Android 11). ALso, it appears that you would have to have made a change yourself to trigger this - the default is ON. I suppose the reason I've never had to do anything is that I've never changed this setting. I'm on Android 12 with my Pixel 6 and I don't seem to be able to find that setting anyways.

Mad_cow
Apprentice
Apprentice
Another week rolls by, another week unfixed.
Mannda
Tutor
Tutor
I use Arlo ultra 2 , and it’s connected to the base station with a super fast USB device.

On the app on the phone the green bar keeps sliding across the top looking like it's trying to find things.

I get about 700 notifications a day that there is movement (even with Motion detection set way down).

Hopefully I will find a solution here, there is no help to find online