Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Whuff
Star
Star

After the update of the Arlo app on August 22, 2022 , when I try to access my Smarthub,I keep getting this message: There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue. It has been almost a month and it is still not working!!

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is actively investigating these reports on this issue. We are working on a resolution. As soon as I have more information to share I will provide an update.

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The VMB5000 and VMB4540 received an update yesterday. The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will have an update released today. Your Base station/SmartHub will update automatically, so please continue to wait for the updates. 

Thank you

251 REPLIES 251
ThatPRDude
Aspirant
Aspirant

IOS app, can’t access local storage. All libraries show up as 0 videos recorded.

I have the latest update on the app, please help

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First thing and easy to try is an uninstall and reinstall of the app and then test again.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ThatPRDude
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi.

Should’ve posted this here. But I’ve tried everything and it still won’t show me the option to select my offline storage.

I’ve reinstalled, reseted and even tried in other devices. Won’t let me select my base station when in the library section.
ThatPRDude
Aspirant
Aspirant
Also, where is the direct storage BBC access option? And the port forward option?
2F6A92AB-F37B-40E6-9A60-B6766C1BBFD9.png
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ThatPRDude wrote:
Also, where is the direct storage BBC access option? And the port forward option?

Can you confirm your base station model?  There is a label on the base that starts with VMB.

ThatPRDude
Aspirant
Aspirant
VMB4540r2

If it helps, I had the local storage option about a month or two ago. That’s why im so confused
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ThatPRDude wrote:
VMB4540r2

If it helps, I had the local storage option about a month or two ago. That’s why im so confused

I'm confused too.  You should see the option for direct access to local storage in the iOS app with that base.

Have you tried toggling "local storage" off and then on again?

You could also uninstall the app, and then reinstall it (that's the only way to clear the app cache in current iOS).

I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) in case they want to follow up.

ThatPRDude
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for tagging them, it's been driving me crazy.

I've uninstalled the app several times before posting.

Edit: Also toggled the local storage icon.

I'll try to upload few images in hopes that it helps identify the issue.
89F4BA33-1C01-4E23-BC4A-126ED852FE99.png
ThatPRDude
Aspirant
Aspirant
Second image of the library with no option to switch between cloud and local
32BE6CCC-850A-4A67-A52B-D9B1722A15EC.png
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been escalated and the development team is currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Summer4me
Guide
Guide
Firmware update installed port forwarding for local access to library (USB). This was working for months? I cannot port forward over Starlink CGNAT. I bought this damn thing because I COULD access my data remotely over Starlink. It was working but is not anymore.
This is wrong (yes I know the security). At the least give the option back!!!
I was recommending Arlo on the Starlink forums but hey,
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Summer4me wrote:
 I cannot port forward over Starlink CGNAT. 

Generally you can't forward any ports with CGNAT (for any application).  There's a similar issue with the T-mobile 5G broadband mobile service.

Summer4me
Guide
Guide
Yes, exactly. Starlink “mostly” deploys with CGNAT. Some get lucky and are assigned an ipv4.
What I’m pissed off about is that this was working for many months, and met my needs as it was. Arlo updated the firmware and changed it to port forwarding. This means I lose access, remote, to my local storage. I want that back. I bought it with the ability to do the remote access to local storage. I have the same set up at a different place, quite possibly with an earlier version smart hub that can’t be updated (yet?) And that’s why I got this one.
So I bought and paid for a function and Arlo decided to break it. I understand that or security, I’ve been an IT professional for 40 years. I don’t want to have to buy a different router and try to set up a VPN which may or may not work depending on if the IP is somewhat static. I should be able to use what I bought the way it worked for months
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Summer4me wrote:
What I’m pissed off about is that this was working for many months, and met my needs as it was. Arlo updated the firmware and changed it to port forwarding. 

Direct Access to Local Storage has always required either port forwarding or a VPN connection for remote access. 

I think what might have changed is that your subscription lapsed (and that you were accessing cloud storage before).

Do you also get an ipv6 address from Starlink?  Not sure, but if you do, then you might be able to deploy openvpn on your home router, and reach that using ipv6.  I think that would also give you remote access to local storage.

Summer4me
Guide
Guide
I was using local storage , USB key. Same thing as I was using on another Arlo base station. Was fine and the other Arlo station VMB4000 is still working.
I was regularly copying off the usb and reformatting the key.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Summer4me wrote:
I was using local storage , USB key. Same thing as I was using on another Arlo base station. Was fine and the other Arlo station VMB4000 is still working.

The VMB4000 doesn't let you see the local storage from the app or browser.  Older cameras (pro, pro2 among others) came with 7-day cloud storage.  So any recordings you were seeing in the app (or PC) were coming from that cloud storage.

Newer cameras (starting with the Ultras in 2018) don't have that 7-day cloud storage.  You are opted into a trial subscription when onboarding, and after that expires there no cloud recordings available in the app.  This applies to Ultra/Ultra 2, Pro 3/Pro 4, Essential cameras and the two video doorbells.

What is the model of the other base, and what cameras are connected to it?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this issue has been deployed. This fix should be automatic for those who already have local storage set up. If you're still experiencing an issue, try logging out and logging back in to your mobile app and try again.

Thanks,

JamesC

Summer4me
Guide
Guide
I just tried and no-go. Is it an app update or a firmware update? The base station says it’s up to date.
(Yes; I have repeatedly removed the app and reinstalled. As well as power cycled the base station as well. Just fyi
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Summer4me wrote:
I just tried and no-go. Is it an app update or a firmware update? The base station says it’s up to date.
(Yes; I have repeatedly removed the app and reinstalled. As well as power cycled the base station as well. Just fyi

FWIW, I am seeing a similar problem.  I have two VMB5000s, and only one is letting me access local storage.  So the fix (whatever it is) isn't working for me.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The fix mentioned above was neither an app or firmware fix. We're still seeing reports of an issue however and the dev team is continuing to investigate these reports.

JamesC

DeeMo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Did your issue with viewing the recordings from the app or direct storage get solved?  I am having the same issue among other issues.  
JDM6
Star
Star

IOS still unable to access local storage remotely (port forwarding is not connecting any more for a couple weeks now)

whats worse is that I cant even watch videos at home on the same network (How is that possible - I thought local storage access on the same network was a given and did not require any port forwarding/VPN) either way my "security system" has been useless for weeks now - can you guys give an update why local access same network would not be working? and after all these "escalations" there hasn't been any improvements -- can you guys turn on free cloud storage until you fix this issue?

EmJr
Aspirant
Aspirant

A similar problem exists on the Android app. My local storage library shows no recordings since May 8th.

bwdavis7
Tutor
Tutor

Really?  This is supposedly fixed?  Not mine.  All software up to date. Still can't review clips without ejecting the SD card and reading directly.  This was working on local network originally.  The only changes to my system was any updates from Arlo. This sucks.

Mdev41
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing here. Just update the app and now the how library is gone. Still getting notifications but I cannot access the local library at all. This happened the last update as well. Perhaps the hub is no loner recognizing the local storage? Either way very frustrating.