Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Foggy / bad quality camera

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, I have an arlo pro 3 in one of my daughter's room. And lately the quality is getting worse. It has always been very grainy. Low quality for a 2k video camera. But now. All around the camera it has this foggyness. I can't understand why. I have 5 other arlo pro 3. None of them have poor quality video or foggyness.

Anyone has a solution that could help me?

I wish I. Could attached a photo for viewing.
10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Attach a screenshot by using the Drag and drop or browse feature just below the reply text box.

Grainy makes it sound like it's in B&W - is it? If not, are you zooming in any way to make that determination? 2k really isn't that high resolution and the compression used blurs details.

Have you cleaned the lens? Are there reflections that could be hitting the lens?

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
Using the phone it won't let mgñattach a photo. |
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Make sure the file type is jpg, not jpeg.

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
I may have to wait until I get home. Because browsing on the internet y phone this site does not give me an attachment icon availability.
Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant

rsz_screenshot_20220705-165743_arlo_secure.jpgrsz_screenshot_20220705-165801_arlo_secure.jpgrsz_screenshot_20220705-165824_arlo_secure.jpg

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant

I attached some photos from Today 7/5/22. You can see that at one point my daughter's curtain were close and the nightmode no longer works either. One the curtains are open you can clearly see the fogginess. Now whenever there is full light, I dont see the fogginess.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a few possible issues here. With the curtains open, there may be enough light to fool night vision into not turning on - can you verify this is happening or not? Also, and maybe more importantly, the camera is picking up the IR light from the camera bouncing off the nearby wall, causing the auto-exposure to darken the image (it thinks there's enough light to do so). Rotating the camera away from the wall or moving it may solve the problem.

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
OK, I understand the IR bouncing from the wall. I would move the camera. However, the night vision doesn't even work at night when curtains are completely closed. The room it's dark and the night vision should work.

And what about the fogginess? Around the edge of the camera is if you look at the photos, you can't see anything.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It appears that night vision IS working or it wouldn't be bouncing off the nearby wall. You can verify by just looking at the camera, triggering a recording in the dark and see the dull red glow from the night vision IR LEDs.

The fogginess may be due to a smear on the lens or possibly a faulty camera.

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah I clean the lense multiple times. Thinking it was just dirty. But it's so high up. No one but myself could reach it. So, I think it may be a faulty camera.
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation