Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can you use any usb power module

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jlr210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you use any USB power adapter for the Pro 3

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jlr210 wrote:

Can you use any USB power adapter for the Pro 3

Pretty much, though you do need the magnetic cable of course.

The Arlo indoor charger is 5 volts, 2 amps.

jlr210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, 

Sat, Apr 2 at 3:24 PM

So all my apple 5.1v and 1 or 2a are ok :). 

After months of testing locations and activity zones (which I learned work best when you cross the beam), with and without ac power, and after the free subscription months I’m ready to subscribe and will get 4 magnetic cables (which I think all come with the adapter) and a 4th camera . 
Any idea if anyone you know makes a short 3 foot cable like the ones that come originally with the cameras? Wasserstein doesn’t have one. 

Also, can volume in 2way mode be increased, besides volume control on the camera setup? 
Activity seems to only effectively 15-20ft away?

Lastly when I’m out of town how many seconds is the delay when I get an alert?  

It’s very kind to hear from a”user” of the system. Many thanks, 
Jim

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jlr210 wrote:

So all my apple 5.1v and 1 or 2a are ok :). 

The 2a for sure. Not so sure on the 1a.

@jlr210 wrote:

Any idea if anyone you know makes a short 3 foot cable like the ones that come originally with the cameras? Wasserstein doesn’t have one. 

Mine are all Arlo, so I have no direct experience here.  The shortest I've seen on line is 8 feet.

@jlr210 wrote:

Activity seems to only effectively 15-20ft away?

The passive infrared (PIR) sensors have a nominal range of 20-25 feet.  Though some objects (vehicles for example) often are detected when further away.

@jlr210 wrote:

Also, can volume in 2way mode be increased, besides volume control on the camera setup? 

Only using whatever controls are on the app device (or PC).  That can be an issue, particularly on Samsung phones.

@jlr210 wrote:

Lastly when I’m out of town how many seconds is the delay when I get an alert?  

The alerts always come via the Arlo cloud, so the delay while on the road won't be much different than the delay when home.  It is somewhat variable, but I think in my case it's usually a few seconds.

jlr210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Last questions:

1.  I see the Arlo add is touting 6 months battery life on the Ultra 2, do you know what the typical life is on the Pro 3?

2. Do you get all the benefits and features whether you're on battery or ac power when you're a subscriber?

Thanks again,

Jim

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jlr210 wrote:

1.  I see the Arlo add is touting 6 months battery life on the Ultra 2, do you know what the typical life is on the Pro 3?

Battery life tends to get overstated (also by competitors).  My cameras generally get about 2 months.   Your experience might differ, it depends a lot on how much motion there is in the field of view.

@jlr210 wrote:

2. Do you get all the benefits and features whether you're on battery or ac power when you're a subscriber?

Thanks again,

There is a foresight feature that requires AC power.  In that mode, the camera is always capturing and buffering video.  When the motion is detected, the recording includes a couple of seconds before the motion detection.  Foresight doesn't require  a subscription.

CVR (continuous video recording) is its own subscription (not part of Secure/Secure Plus), and it also requires AC power and a base station.

Activity zones are processed by the camera when you are on AC power, but are processed by the cloud when you have a subscription and are on battery.  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation