Cameras offline -- Fixed with Hub factory reset

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
jtab4994
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just wanted to record the steps I took to get my system back up after an electrical storm!

On Thursday 5/23/24 we had an electrical storm that knocked out our power.  Out standby generator kicked in and all was well, internet and router were functioning, but our Arlo Hub is not on a generator circuit.  Everyone was home, and nobody checked Arlo when the power came back on.

Fast forward to Friday, when my wife and I were away, and she wanted to check on the cat!  Well, both cameras were offline.  Restarting the hub remotely didn't work, and having our son reset the hub and the router did nothing.

When I got home I tried the Sync button multiple times, swapped out the ethernet cable, unplugged/replugged power, everything I could think of.  Finally, I resorted to the Factory Reset by holding a toothpick in the hub's reset hole, and counting the 20-one thousand.  That did the trick! I was able to get the Hub back online and then restore the two cameras (after recharging -- I guess they wore out the batteries searching for a connection).  

We have had our Arlo system since 2020 and this is the first time I have needed a factory reset.  I suppose it's linked to the electrical storm, and I'll remember this solution for next time.  I hope this helps others, too!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jtab4994 wrote:

Thanks -- my UPS already has 6 items plugged into it;

You could connect a power strip to the "back" side of the UPS, and connect some of devices on it.  The main disadvantage is that if there is a power glitch when the UPS kicks in, the power strip might turn itself off.  (I have done this with one of my own UPS systems, and it hasn't happened with it).

Though if the combined power draw is high, you probably should get a second UPS.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My usual suggestion is to use a UPS for your modem, router and any hubs/bases so any power outage is of no consequence. Even with backup house power, there's a period of time between the blackout and generator kicking in so the UPS would take care of that time at the very least.

jtab4994
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks -- my UPS already has 6 items plugged into it; maybe I can reconfigure the ordering to fit the Arlo hub.  These plugs some in all shapes and sizes, and some actually take up more than one UPS outlet because of it!  The hub is plugged into a power strip, which may have saved it from burning out entirely.  That did happen to me with a modem once, many moons ago...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A power strip plugged into the UPS may offer enough extra outlets to allow you to also connect the hub. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jtab4994 wrote:

Thanks -- my UPS already has 6 items plugged into it;

You could connect a power strip to the "back" side of the UPS, and connect some of devices on it.  The main disadvantage is that if there is a power glitch when the UPS kicks in, the power strip might turn itself off.  (I have done this with one of my own UPS systems, and it hasn't happened with it).

Though if the combined power draw is high, you probably should get a second UPS.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation