Camera recording too long

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Joebas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very recently my Arlo Pro 3 positioned at my front door has been recording intermittently 3 or 5 minute clips when motion stopped after less than 30 seconds. No wind is present, no trees moving, no motion at all, but it continues to record well past the time it should. The result is my battery that would last 6-8 weeks is now lasting less than 4. Anybody else having this issue? 

8 REPLIES 8
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It happens on my pro2 cameras intermittently for the last 12 months.

I can’t complain about it since I don’t have a subscription.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using "until motion stops" in the rules?

One workaround is to set a fixed recording duration.

Joebas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I am and have been for 3 years. Only recently (<3 months) has the extended recording  been happening.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

Joebas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I deleted the camera and then reinstalled it.  The problem is not consistent. However when it does record for 3,4 or 5+ minutes, there is zero movement of anything beyond someone coming in or leaving the doorway which lasts for less than 30 seconds. The recordings randomly last well beyond what they should.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joebas wrote:

The problem is not consistent. However when it does record for 3,4 or 5+ minutes, there is zero movement of anything beyond someone coming in or leaving the doorway which lasts for less than 30 seconds. The recordings randomly last well beyond what they should.

I sometimes see that.  One workaround is to set a fixed recording duration, instead of "until motion stops".

Joebas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, but then I may miss something that might actually need to be recorded. Bottom line is the cameras should work correctly. Since this is a new issue that hasn't happened in the 2 previous years, I'm sure its software or firmware related

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joebas wrote:

Bottom line is the cameras should work correctly. 

I agree.  But recording too much is far better than recording too little.  Personally I am ok with the occasional long recording, as long as it doesn't drain the batteries excessively.

Recording will be re-triggered if you shorten the time (say to 20 seconds), and motion continues.  But there will be gaps - perhaps 5 seconds or so - between the segmenets.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation