Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
g-smith
Follower
Follower

I have just purchased both a Nighthawk MR1100 router AND an Arlo VMB4540 base station with 4 pro 3 cams.

According to the Arlo app / New system setup/ Select your Arlo device -  you can use either of the above as a base station.

I am just about to set up a new system.

Can someone please give me the pros and cons of using each as the base station please, initially with 4 off

Pro 3 cams, but this will shortly increase to 8 cams.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@g-smith wrote:

Can someone please give me the pros and cons of using each as the base station please,

Arlo is no longer part of Netgear, so personally I wouldn't use the MR1100 as the Arlo base.  There's nothing documented as to whether the pro-3 cameras will work at all with the MR1100 (and if they did, if they would use 2K).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Your footer says VMC3030 (the Arlo Pro 2 hub/base station)  but the subject refers to VMB4540 (Pro 3).

Which do you own?

The latter was made after the Arlo/Netgear divorce.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
AncientGeekVT
Apprentice
Apprentice

@g-smith wrote:

I have just purchased both a Nighthawk MR1100 router AND an Arlo VMB4540 base station with 4 pro 3 cams.

According to the Arlo app / New system setup/ Select your Arlo device -  you can use either of the above as a base station.

I am just about to set up a new system.

Can someone please give me the pros and cons of using each as the base station please, initially with 4 off

Pro 3 cams, but this will shortly increase to 8 cams.

Thanks.

I have an MR1100 that I set up as a travel base last year and later deployed as a backup system in case my normal broadband connection fails.  It works fine.  

However, I purchased a new MR1100 in November to use as an Arlo travel base again this year and I discovered the new Arlo app doesn't seem to connect to it.  I futzed around with it for a while and then tried the browser user interface.  That worked on the first try.  I was able to add the MR1100 as my base and I have one Pro 2 camera connected.  However when I tried to connect a Pro 3 camera, the browser app says the Pro 3 requires a new base, so I could not add it.  I'll swap the Pro 3 for one of the other Pro 2 cameras so I can have the pair I wanted.

I do think the coaching about Arlo being independent is correct that it bodes poorly for future compatibility between the MR1100 and Arlo cameras as I discovered with the App problem and lack of support for the Pro 3 on the MR1100.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@AncientGeekVT wrote:

I do think the coaching about Arlo being independent is correct that it bodes poorly for future compatibility between the MR1100 and Arlo cameras as I discovered with the App problem and lack of support for the Pro 3 on the MR1100.

See above. The Arlo-Netgear divorce last year seems to have brought an end to a short-lived attempt to run Arlo cameras on the back of the MR1100.

To deliver their full capability, cameras and Arlo stuff launched since then, including the Ultra and Pro 3 cameras,  need newer hubs than those designed for the Pro 2.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation