Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base Staion Motion Detected notifications

Discussion stats
mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

Not sure why but we keep getting notifications advising that motion was detected on our base station.

Unable to find anything about this in the manual, in the Community discussions nor via searches on the internet.

Have a USB drive attached and video recordings are saved to it.

Unable to find a reason for any sort of motion with the base station.

Anyone experienced this?

How can I stop it occurring?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Mike

70 REPLIES 70
mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

I can confirm that this is occurring when Camera 2 detects some sort of motion.

i.e. The second device listed when I view the Device Order screen in the app on my cell phone (iPhone X).

We are no longer being sent notifications for Camera 2.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

I get notifications for all my cameras, but when "Motion is detected on Smarthub" there is no video in the library at the same time.

JJWatson
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo Base Station is continually sending Base Station Motion Alerts to my iPhone.  It is becoming increasingly annoying being a work mobile, I have to turn the sound down because of the continual alerts and thus missing important phone calls.

The Arlo is still under warranty, therefore I am thinking about taking it back and get a refund.

Is there an update on the resolution?

JJWatson

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sorry, no update as yet.

Yes it is really annoying and I can understand your thoughts re returning it and getting a refund.

Arlo’s response to this issue is pretty poor. No updates, no fix, nothing.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@JJWatson wrote:

Is there an update on the resolution?

Even when it is resolved, your problem may well persists because it is a different issue.

@JJWatson wrote:

The Arlo Base Station is continually sending Base Station Motion Alerts to my iPhone.

I suspect that the alerts you see have nothing to do with the main issue of this discussion. That is about the alerts being mislabelled. They say they are from the hub whereas they are actually coming from a camera that is connected to the hub.

The "triggers" are still happening in response to the rules you have set up. Fix the problem discussed here and they will continue but labelled as coming from a camera.

So to reduce the annoyance you need to work out what is sending the messages – not easy when you don't know exactly what is sending them, which camera, but the recordings might offer some clues – and then to adjust the rules to reduce those triggers or to turn off getting the alerts.

@JJWatson wrote:

It is becoming increasingly annoying being a work mobile, I have to turn the sound down because of the continual alerts and thus missing important phone calls.

If you don't want the work phone to keep shouting at you, telling your rules not to send it messages would be a good start.

What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Koolbrz1031
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why do I keep getting Notifications saying Motion detected at base station?
JF234
Tutor
Tutor
I have been experiencing the same problem " motion detected on base station" ever since the arlo software update in early June 2020.
I am using a Galaxy A50 with Android 10. My wife is also having the same problem on her galaxy A8 with android 9.

Thes new notifications started immediately after the Arlo software update in early June 2020.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@JF234 

Is it still happening since the latest firmware update recently in the last day or two? 

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

Not sure - am unable to view dismissed notifications on an iPhone X.

Initial impression is that there seems to have been a distinct reduction in the number of motion detections - back to what it was prior to this issue.

Please advise the latest Firmware version so I can verify it is installed.

When I check it says there are no firmware updates available.

The current version I have is:   1.16.2.4.597_f4757f1.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,

Mike

dcfox1
Master
Master

Yea that was just released. Its listed in the Firmware notifications  sub forum here. 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-SmartHub-VMB4540-1-16-2-4-597-f4757f1-5th-...

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

So given that I have the latest firmware installed on our base station, I just went out and walked in front of each of our 4 cameras. 

The notifications I received on my iPhone X are all for Base Station motion detection. 

None were for the individual cameras.

Refer to the attached screen capture.

When I view the library, the correct cameras are indicated with each of the recordings. Refer to the other screen capture.

Harper_Motion_Detection_Failure_20200707.png

Harper_Library_20200707.jpg

So in response to your question, I would say the attempted fix is a failure.

Kind regards,

Mike

Arniej92
Aspirant
Aspirant
My system is doing the same thing. Funny thing is I have 2 older cameras that still work. The new pro 3s don’t record and only give this smarthub motion detected and they don’t record. I’ve tried re installing the new ones and taking the old ones off and no success. They do recognize the motion but they don’t record anymore. The old ones record still. Very bad issue here with no resolution.
anywidget
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem Here and it is quite annoying... hope they fix it soon
BeilRoyDom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. Motion alerts from base station instead of from individual cameras. Still waiting for a fix
mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Given there are so many people experiencing this issue and the fact that it is proving to be difficult for them to fix, I would suggest that Arlo "rolls back" to the previously correctly working version so we all stop receiving the incorrect notification message content. They should then work on a fix for the faulty version in a test environment setup specifically for this issue.

dcfox1
Master
Master

They could but it may make problems for other people who do not have this problem.  Then you open a whole new can of worms. 

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found it strange that this problem just happened without any updates.  My app was working fine for a long time without any issue with no updates, then all of a sudden I noticed one of the camera did it. Is that even possible the software can be changed without updates?  Or the bug has always been there just waiting for certain scenarios to show up. 

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

Yeah, stuff like this seems to happen all the time.  I think they change things on the server side and this causes issues, despite no updates on our end.

mharps
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi,

I think you may find that even though you haven't updated the firmware on you base station, Arlo has done it automatically.

The current version I have is:   1.16.2.4.597_f4757f1.

I did not specifically update the firmware to that version myself, but when asked by someone from Arlo about the version on my base station, it was confirmed that I had the latest version installed.

Amati5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, I forgot we are on their server so there’s always a connection.

anywidget
Aspirant
Aspirant
That would be too logical...;)
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@krypttic wrote:

Yeah, stuff like this seems to happen all the time.  I think they change things on the server side and this causes issues, despite no updates on our end.

Yes. From time to time someone goes in and kicks the server.

There are many layers to these things. Apps, firmware, servers, the software in the browser interface (for example, settings, about version in the browser).

Get just one of these wrong and chaos can follow.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Kaynadian
Luminary
Luminary

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is aware if this issue is fixed? I just started experiencing this issue today, but it seems that it only appeared for me after I subscribed 5 camera monthly plan.

Thanks!

K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Kaynadian 

Posted by JamesC 

JamesC
Community Manager
‎2020-06-24 09:14 AM

This issue has been escalated and is currently being investigated by the development team. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

I assume from all the post's that the problem is still ongoing. A update would be nice.

Mikeinaustex
Aspirant
Aspirant
Almost been a month since this was reported and this problem still hasn’t been fixed ? Whatever software change that caused this issue needs to be rolled back to the previous version as that version was functional and this current one isn’t.
Discussion stats