Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Adamv58
Tutor
Tutor

What’s the model number of the smarthub that ships with Arlo pro 3 kits and what model cameras does it support?  Isnthis the same smarthub that ships with the ultra cameras?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adamv58,

The SmartHub model that ships with Arlo Pro 3 kits is the VMB4540. This is not the same as the SmartHub that ships with Ultra kits. For more information on this, take a look here:

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

Is Arlo Pro 3 backwards compatible with my existing Arlo system?

JamesC

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adamv58,

The SmartHub model that ships with Arlo Pro 3 kits is the VMB4540. This is not the same as the SmartHub that ships with Ultra kits. For more information on this, take a look here:

What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?

Is Arlo Pro 3 backwards compatible with my existing Arlo system?

JamesC

Adamv58
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you James! If I understand these articles correctly, I could add an arlo pro 3 camera to my existing 4 camera pro 2 system that has a vmb4000r3 base station with siren and get all the features of the pro 3 camera, including 7 day clip cloud storage? Any limitations?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Adamv58,

That is correct. You can add an Arlo Pro 3 to your existing vmb4000 base station. Pro 3 does not include 7 day cloud storage without a subscription plan. The Pro 3 requires a subscription for cloud recordings and comes with a 3-month Arlo Smart Trial plan. With vmb4000 2K content will be limited to local live stream and local storage. A SmartHub is needed to take advantage of 2K cloud recording.

For more information on this, take a look here: 

What options will I have when the Arlo Smart 3-month trial plan ends?

JamesC

Adamv58
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks again James.  Although you state I am correct, your also stating the 7 day rolling cloud storage is NOT included with the pro 3 camera unless a subscription is purchased.   This is disappointing...my investment to avoid cloud storage costs in the Arlo brand is now stuck at the pro 2 camera level, even though I can use a pro 3 with my current base station.  I specifically chose Arlo for the 7 day rolling and local storage features, but I had no idea new releases compatible with my system would FORCE me into a subscription.  I think this should be reconsidered, or available if 1080p recording mode is used...

Thanks a bunch for the articles, they are very helpful understanding the combos possible.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC 

Are local recordings accessible through Arlo app without a subscription plan?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Paul_FCCL,

Local recordings cannot be accessed through the Arlo app with, or without, a subscription plan. You must eject the USB drive and view locally stored content on a computer (or other device that can read and play media from the drive).

JamesC

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

@JamesC :

Sorry, I should have said “recordings”, in reference to the cloud storage ending subscription. Once that ends, Arlo 3 users will not be able to access their camera recordings, YES they will be stored locally and NO they cannot be viewed through Arlo app either locally or remotely.

matt8902
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the clarity, BUT a reason for me not to continue with Arlo. I choose Arlo for the same reason not to subscribe to cloud offering. As many Arlo user I think it’s a big mistake, if you can’t access the records on the local storage via the App. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@matt8902 wrote:

Thanks for the clarity, BUT a reason for me not to continue with Arlo. I choose Arlo for the same reason not to subscribe to cloud offering. As many Arlo user I think it’s a big mistake, if you can’t access the records on the local storage via the App. 

@JamesC was describing the current situation.   However, that will change over the next few months.   Arlo has committed to allowing direct access to the videos in the local storage via the app (both when on your home network and remotely) before the trial subscriptions for the Ultra and Pro 3 expire.  That feature is expected before the end of this year.

matt8902
Initiate
Initiate

Good to hear! Thanks for the info, will watch the space.

one other question: with the older cameras I’m using the solar panels. Do you know, if they provide a correct cable for it for the magnetic new connections or are new panels required?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@matt8902 wrote:

one other question: with the older cameras I’m using the solar panels. Do you know, if they provide a correct cable for it for the magnetic new connections or are new panels required?

You'll need the ultra/pro-3 panel - VMA5600  The older VMA4600 isn't compatible.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation