Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro3 Not utilizing wifi extenders (yes I searched)

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
natimus
Aspirant
Aspirant

We live on two acres in the woods. Wifi extenders are 40 feet from the house, then another 30 feet to the final extender. All signals are 2 to 3 bars. we use our phones and decent streaming off of the second extender, so that should not be an issue.

Walking some 40' from my base/wifi home, the camera gets glitchy.

standing right next to an extender with 3 bars, and NOTHING. camera says 2 bars for a moment, then fails.

These are cameras to monitor outbuildings and a shop, not for indoor use to spy on the dog.

There should be a way I can do this.

No special connection or other info besides the wifi password is needed to access these extenders..

Step by step so far.

base plugged into switch/extender/internet.

In my office camera synced, works fine.

walk 40' from the house, worthless...

update, camera is 20' from an extender (which is 70' from the house) on a stump...on my Arlo app it shows two bars, will not go live, just says "getting status..."

change to low rez? reduce some features?

6 REPLIES 6
dcfox1
Master
Master

Can you clarify but only the base is effected by a wifi extender connected via ethernet cable. The Pro 3 Spotlight cams connect to base not your wifi extenders. Do you have several base?  But I may have misunderstood or you mean the newer Pro 3 Floodlight cam that can connect to wifi directly. 

natimus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only one base. Pro3 Spotlight cam.

bummer, I must find a way to fix this. Getting a second base, or even ethernet out to these far off points, is not viable

dcfox1
Master
Master

@natimus wrote:

Only one base. Pro3 Spotlight cam.

bummer, I must find a way to fix this. Getting a second base, or even ethernet out to these far off points, is not viable

You could just get a wifi extender with an ethernet port to plug the base into if you relocate the base to a more central point. You don't need to run additional cables except from the wifi extender to the base. I may have not worded it well in my reply. Either way the Pro3 connects directly to the base/hub. 

PiperG
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't mean to hijack this post, but I am having the exact same problem. I had three Arlo Pro 2 cameras working well with base hub in office. I bought two Arlo Pro 3 cameras for the other end of the house and synced all five cameras to new base hub. I also have a satellite to extend my wifi to the front of the house (living room) where my problem camera is located (it's outside though).

To make sure I understand...you're saying the Arlo Pro 3 spotlight cam can't run off satellite wifi? It needs to connect direct to hub. What if I use the Pro 2 hub back in the office again and use the Pro 3 hub at the front of the house? I'm not l sure I understand what to connect the Pro 3 base to...a wifi extender? The little gadgets that plug in an electric outlet but have an Ethernet port?

dcfox1
Master
Master

The Pro 3 connects to the hub on it's own "closed " wifi network. You can connect to as you described and I use a power line wifi extender that plugs into the wall socket that has an ethernet port and then I plug the base into that via Ethernet cable if that helps. I don't use a satellite extender so can't say but think it would work if it has an ethernet  port. So in a sum up the cams connect via its own wifi system to the hub/base and the hub or base connects via ethernet cable. The ethernet port is the key for connecting the hub/base to the internet.

PiperG
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is exactly what I did. I bought a wifi extender, plugged it closer to where the new Pro 3s are going, connected the Pro 3 Base. Now I have Pro 2s on their base upstairs and Pro 3s on their base downstairs. Seems to be a strong signal and the dead spot I needed camera coverage is now covered. Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation