Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 video - "This video is not able to play in your browser. Please download to view."

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SageGrouse
Tutor
Tutor

This doesn't make sense to me.  If I manually record a video it plays just fine in a Windows 10 Edge browser but if I select one of the automatically recorded videos it won't play and I get the message "This video is not able to play in your browser.  Please download to view."  Both video are the same file type / file extension.  I've tried the HEIF and HEVC "Reset" but still the same; any manually recorded video plays but auto-recorded videos don't play.

I have no issues when using my smart phone to play videos.  Everything else works excellent with the Arlo Pro 3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The latest Edge Windows desktop browser is no based on Chromium, like Chrome, so it doesn't have the ability to play HEVC (2K) videos via Flash anymore.  See this browser HEVC compatibility chart: https://caniuse.com/#feat=hevc - Notice that the newer Edge browsers are marked Red while earlier versions were Green.  The older Edge browser was custom-built and still allowed Flash so it used to be able to play the 2K videos recorded by Arlo Pro 3 videos, but sadly no more.

Smart phones run modern video players and natively support 4K/HEVC videos so the Arlo app has no problem playing the videos while Windows PCs and laptops have difficulty because of the HEVC compatibility issues.

I just tried it now on my Windows laptop and saw the same behavior that you reported.  The manual recording is not 2K (there is no 2K label in the lower left) so plays just fine.  The thumbnail recording in the Devices page stream fine, probably because they are not 2K.  It's only when you click on a Library page thumbnail and then go to the video detail page that it tries to play in 2K and then the browser asks you to download the video.  Sorry.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Mikey94025
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The latest Edge Windows desktop browser is no based on Chromium, like Chrome, so it doesn't have the ability to play HEVC (2K) videos via Flash anymore.  See this browser HEVC compatibility chart: https://caniuse.com/#feat=hevc - Notice that the newer Edge browsers are marked Red while earlier versions were Green.  The older Edge browser was custom-built and still allowed Flash so it used to be able to play the 2K videos recorded by Arlo Pro 3 videos, but sadly no more.

Smart phones run modern video players and natively support 4K/HEVC videos so the Arlo app has no problem playing the videos while Windows PCs and laptops have difficulty because of the HEVC compatibility issues.

I just tried it now on my Windows laptop and saw the same behavior that you reported.  The manual recording is not 2K (there is no 2K label in the lower left) so plays just fine.  The thumbnail recording in the Devices page stream fine, probably because they are not 2K.  It's only when you click on a Library page thumbnail and then go to the video detail page that it tries to play in 2K and then the browser asks you to download the video.  Sorry.

SageGrouse
Tutor
Tutor

THANKS!  That makes perfect sense.  I assumed the manually recorded video is the same but it is, in fact, NOT the same; it isn't 2K.  I probably wouldn't have figured that out on my own.  Much appreciated.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation