Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Relayze
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased an Arlo Pro 2 kit two weeks ago. I was OK happy with its quality overall. During the day I thought it was sharp enough to see what was going on around my house. At night, I would say the video was decent. Then I saw a sale at Costo, for the Arlo Pro 3. It was almost 100 bucks more that the Pro 2 kit however, it had 3 cameras. Without a second thought I purchased it and installed it today. After 14 hours using it, I am regretting doing so. The camera is sharper during daytime. Lag is horrible. My 3 cameras have about a 3 second lag.
At night, Jesus Lord, it is more pixelated than the Pro 2. Looks whased out. Pixelated. Can barely notice the street unlike the pro 2. I tried setting the lights, looks horrible.
I will probably return this junk and keep searching for a decently priced, better camera kit. I am super disappointed.

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Relayze,

Are you able to post a screenshot of what you're experiencing? That may help us better understand the issue.

JamesC

Relayze
Aspirant
Aspirant
Horrible
Relayze
Aspirant
Aspirant
Camera 3, horrible also
Relayze
Aspirant
Aspirant
Bad quality
mailman7603
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same problem.  I bought mine from Costco too the first part of July, 2020.  I was expecting a lot better picture with a 2K resolution.  Daytime video is acceptable, but night vision is horrible.  Words like grainy, blurry and pixelated come to mind.  I contacted support and they ran me through the usual steps to try and fix it.  No change.  We'll see what happens.  Right now I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Looks to me like “night vision” is not activated. I could be wrong.

mailman7603
Aspirant
Aspirant

The night vision is turned on.  I even turned it off and then on again.  Nothing seems to improve the quality.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I admit I have the Arlo 2 cameras, but on these “2’s” at least, the night vision can not produce a colour image. Night vision is only black and white unless there is sufficient ambient light to switch the camera back to colour. 
At any rate, night vision has always been VERY pixilated. One of the many on going issues with the Arlo product.

This is what mine shows...

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to be clear, my understanding of the system is when the camera is using night vision it is black and white. If enough ambient light such as a porch light is on, the camera switches back to the normal daylight setting and in colour. At this point there is still not enough light to produce a clearer image without grain and pixelation. Most noticeable at the fringes of the image where the light fades away.
With my motion sensing exterior lights, my night time videos will often start in black and white (night vision) as the camera goes through its 3 second “look back” feature. The light is still off. As soon as the exterior light picks up motion and turns on, then the camera switches back to the non night vision setting (normal colour daylight setting). The image will still be poor as there is simply not enough light. 
I believe this is what you are seeing. Very normal for Arlo.
Is it good enough at this price point? I would also argue that it is not, but I fear this is as good as it gets. This has been my experience over the last 12 month. But I don’t speak for all.

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

One more thing. 
As I have the Arlo 2 and I believe you guys have the Arlo 3, I am surprised that there is no improvement in the image. I thought that was the whole point of the “3”? Is it not supposed to be 4K?

mailman7603
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Arlo Pro 3 camera is supposed to be 2K.  The Ultra is 4K.  I agree: it is not good enough at the Pro 3 price point.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation