Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3, hub next to window, camera outside on wall

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
arlomayfield
Follower
Follower

I have a system with 3 Arlo Pro 3 cameras and a hub.  One of the cameras sometimes gives up for half a day or more (sometimes a day and a half) without recording anything.  When it's misbehaving, even trying to run the positioning utility or live monitoring fails to connect.  Yet when it is in the mood to work, the signal strength is strong.  (The battery is fully charged, by the way). This camera is outside the house on the other side of a window (plastic framed) in direct line of sight of the hub about 3m away.  Another camera is on the opposite side of the house, some 20m away from the hub, with a couple of solid walls in between, yet it works perfectly.

The following is the bit I want to ask users about.  Support are asking me to swap cameras around on the basis that the glass in the window might somehow be affecting how the misbehaving camera runs.  When I read this, my first instinct was to check that it wasn't April the 1st.  They are asking me to believe that a glass window between the hub and the camera is sometimes causing the camera to go offline from time to time.  While the more distant camera carries on regardless.  Is this a wind up?  Or is it just a ploy to delay fixing the problem?  

Incidentally, I've read somewhere that people suspect a very busy camera sometimes fails to record if it's triggered too often?  Is this true?  If so, would that result in the camera itself being disabled for a certain period?

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlomayfield wrote:

Support are asking me to swap cameras around on the basis that the glass in the window might somehow be affecting how the misbehaving camera runs. 

Swapping the cameras is pretty common troubleshooting advice, as it determines if the issue is with the camera or the location.  So I do suggest making the swap.

Ordinary window glass won't affect wifi, but if the window has a metallic coating (Low-E or tinted), that could be blocking the signal.

arlo3fail
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply, but no, it's just an ordinary window.  Basically, support are trying to do anything except admit there's a problem.  I've had enough.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation