Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 camera not recording when motion detected

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
sparcs07
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

Baffled hence asking for advise .... 

I have a older    Arlo Pro2 set-up.   

-  4x Arlo Pro2 Camera's        and hub.   VMS4230P  ) 

I wanted to slowly upgrade my system and so bought a newer Arlo Pro 3 camera and added  it..

ISSUE 

The new camera does not  capture video via motion is detection, the blue lights flickers when you move in front of it   and yet on reviewing the Library its not there. 

- Reading past cases on this community ,   I can see a case for filtering where mine is set to ANY   - NOTE it only lists three camera's ( weird and not this camera  ) .

- I have  no activity zones set . 

Another curious feature is , I do receive    "Arlo motioned detected messages "  from this camera.. 

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sparcs07 wrote:

I wanted to slowly upgrade my system and so bought a newer Arlo Pro 3 camera and added  it..

The new camera does not  capture video via motion is detection, the blue lights flickers when you move in front of it   and yet on reviewing the Library its not there. 

Another curious feature is , I do receive    "Arlo motioned detected messages "  from this camera.. 

The pro 3 requires a subscription for cloud storage.  Is the camera included in a subscription plan (either trial or paid)?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sparcs07 wrote:

The pro 3 requires a subscription for cloud storage.  Is the camera included in a subscription plan (either trial or paid)?

sparcs07
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen, 

I did not know that .   

I like my non subscription cost effective way and stupidly thought the newer camera's would work with the Hub ( no cost  as per my other camera's ) .

Will use trial to confirm camera works and then rethink ... 

sparcs07
Aspirant
Aspirant

If I upgrade my base station to VMB5000.  , will direct storage  work with my Arlo Pro2 and Pro3 cameras and not need a subscription ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes although I tend to recommend the VMB4540 since it uses a USB drive rather than a microSD card (seems simpler to me). Any camera connected to that hub will be recorded locally when local recordings are enabled. However, it's not the same as cloud recordings since you have to use the app to see the videos and thumbnails aren't available until downloaded. Your older cameras would still have cloud recordings, though, which may be useful.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sparcs07 wrote:

will direct storage  work with my Arlo Pro2 and Pro3 cameras and not need a subscription ?

Yes (as @jguerdat says).  Though you shouldn't need a subscription for the Pro2 cameras (unless you have more than 5).

The restrictions include

1. recordings only accessible from the app - not from my.arlo.com
  2. recordings only accessible to the primary account - not friend accounts
  3. no manual recordings or snapshots
  4. no thumbnails
  5. it can be tricky to get access to the recordings when you are away from home (requires port forwarding in the router or a VPN connection).
sparcs07
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi ,  I purchased the subscription to get my Arlo Pro3 camera working with my  Arlo Pro 2 cameras and older base station .

Weird as it is , It does not pick up humans ..    e.g. I walk past the camera and it captures the area without me walking past it .

- Help unsure what I am missing all other cameras capture all motion . 

> Settings > people                               - is enabled    ( plus Vehicles and Animal ) 

> settings > Package Detection         - don't know what this is ? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Marc 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@sparcs07 wrote:

Weird as it is , It does not pick up humans ..    e.g. I walk past the camera and it captures the area without me walking past it .

- Help unsure what I am missing all other cameras capture all motion . 

> Settings > people                               - is enabled    ( plus Vehicles and Animal ) 

> settings > Package Detection         - don't know what this is ? 

Package Detection is looking for a package delivery (amazon, etc).

These settings just affect notifications - if you turn off "Animal", you will still see animal recordings in the library.  But you won't get a notification.  

So one thing to do is look in the library, and make sure there are no recordings being made when you walk in front of the camera. When you do that, make sure the filter is clear (so you see all the recordings).

Assuming there are no recordings: If you have an activity zone set for the camera, I'd delete it for now.   You could also try the motion detection test: https://kb.arlo.com/41/How-do-I-change-the-motion-sensitivity-on-my-Arlo-camera.

sparcs07
Aspirant
Aspirant

Big thank you for the tips.

The Motion Detection test was greyed out , so I switched it OFF and ON and then could run motion tests all ok 

Since then it now picks up humans..   So its fixed .. 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation