Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
nicnut
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI,

I have an Arlo Pro 3 camera.   I have 4 other Arlo pro cameras that don't require a subscription and I can see the footage on a 7 day rolling basis on those older cameras. The older cameras work well and I am pleased with them.

I have to express that I am really disappointed that I need to purchase a subscription to use this newer Arlo Pro 3 camera. I don't remember seeing that printed anywhere on the box when I purchased the camera, or being made aware of this.

I  set up local storage so I can view the camera footage remotely and not need to purchase a subscription. I purchased a 120 gig USB drive and plugged it into my base station. It is now locally recording videos.  When I am at home I can view these recordings.

When I am not at home and try to access these recordings, even with a wifi signal, I can't download the recordings and/or view them.

I hate to be so negative, but I am really disappointed about this. The whole purpose of having a security camera is to be able to see what's happening while you are not home.

Is there any way to have an Arlo pro 3 camera get on the rolling 7 day video storage like the older Arlo cameras? The local storage system seems like it's not working for remote viewing.

Thank You

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
K80Shooter
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In short no. The only options are to keep using the usb/flash drive as you are or to purchase a subscription.

If you're still within the return window at your place of purchase you could return it and get another pro2 camera.

nicnut
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi K80Shooter,

Thank you for the reply.

No I am not within the window to return or exchange. I wasn't even aware this would be an issue until my 3 month complimentary subscription expired.

Maybe, as a suggestion to Arlo, they shouldn't give people the 3 month free subscription so they know what they are getting into right away. If I had known that I would have returned the cameras immediately.

Also, maybe they can find a way that you can view the videos from the local storage drive in the moblie app. For example, after a video is recorded it gets uploaded to the app and is ready to view. It seems crazy that you have to be in the same Wifi network. I have a property on the other side of the country, outfitted with cameras, and that's why I have the cameras in place, so I don't have to be there to know what's going on.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation