Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 battery life

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
RKing62
Follower
Follower
Morning everyone. I installed my pro 3 cameras just 2 weeks ago. 1 front and 1 rear. Front cam is down to 25% already?? Big shortfall and the alleged 6 months battery life? Any thoughts please. Cheers RK
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Especially with a front camera, positioning and motion sensitivity settings are important. You're likely getting too many recordings even if you've turned off notifications since Smart has to process the videos to decide whether to discard them or not. Read the FAQs here on positioning and sensitivity settings in your modes and rules to minimize the recordings. Post a screenshot of the camera view for suggestions.

Of course, it's also possible that signal strength/quality can be the issue so swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RKing62 wrote:
Morning everyone. I installed my pro 3 cameras just 2 weeks ago. 1 front and 1 rear. Front cam is down to 25% already?? Big shortfall and the alleged 6 months battery life? Any thoughts please. Cheers RK

FWIW, I think the 6 months battery life claim is decidedly optimistic.  It depends on a workload that is IMO rather low. 2-3 months is what I get for most of my cameras.

2 weeks is shorter than usual - I agree with @jguerdat's suggestion that you look at the camera positioning and the motion detection threshold (in that order).  In most cases, adjusting the camera position to reduce unwanted motion in the field of view is a better strategy than adjusting the threshold.

I would add that activity zones don't improve battery life.  That is because they are processed in the Arlo cloud -  the camera still streams video to the cloud when the activity is out of the zone. 

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation