Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 / Ultra USB adapter / charger

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
DodgeRog
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo don’t sell a USB adapter for the Arlo 3 on their web site. So I bought USB adapter for my install on Amazon hole waiting for delivery of my Arlo Cameras. The Wasserstein OC 3.0 Quick USB Charger I bought on Amazon didn’t charge to 100% after charging all night so no use for my permanent install. Arlo don’t publish the specs of the single adapter that comes its the pair of cameras I bought so could not ensure the USB adapters I bought ahead of time were spec compliant. Now my cameras have arrived I see from the adapter specs on the body it is Output 5.0V - 2.0A it also mentions 0.3A I.T.E Power Supply. There is a UL listed ref number and RoHS ref number and a web site that is not reachable (prob because behind China’s great firewall). I didn’t find an adapter on Amazon with exactly those specs. And am not sure what the “0.3A I.T.E.” Means, and whether that is relevant.

FYI the 25 ft LANMU charging cable I got on Amazon appears to be working fine with the Arlo USB adapter, so the non-Arlo USB adapter appears to be the problem. 

Can anyone recommend where to get a compliant spec USB adapter/charger from? 

And Arlo, please put USB chargers on your web site for sale!

24 REPLIES 24
DodgeRog
Initiate
Initiate

The power supply cable requires a relatively larg hole to be drilled. 

Would be better if Arlo came up with a similar approach a standard Power Over Ethernet cabling which can be fed thru a small ho;e, and the crimp the Ethernet jack connector on afterwards. Nice approach with magnetic connector, but it’s not practical to run this power cord versus standard POE cabling ONVIF compliant cameras use. Why not use tried and tested POE cabling instead of reinventing the wheel?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@DodgeRog wrote:

Amazon UK has them:

Arlo VMA5000C Accessory Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable, 8 ft, Compatible with Arlo Ultra and Pro3 On...

Indoor and outdoor.

Where are you?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@DodgeRog wrote:

Amazon UK has them:

Arlo VMA5000C Accessory Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable, 8 ft, Compatible with Arlo Ultra and Pro3 On...

No, that's just the cable - not the charger.

You can get the dual-battery charging station ( VMA5400C ), but not just the adapter (with or without the cable).

FWIW, the outdoor charger for the Ultra/Pro3 also isn't listed on https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/accessories.aspx  Not sure why that is, as it was there a couple of weeks ago.

@JamesC , could you ask the relevant team to check on these accessories (also maybe check the filtering by camera model, as I've seen some mistakes there from time to time)?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The outdoor power cable VMA5600C has a non-detachable wall plug (described as integrated power adapter on the website). This is for weatherproofing.

The indoor power cable VMA5000C comes with both the power cable and the power adapter. If a replacement power adapter is needed, this can be obtained in this kit: Arlo Ultra & Pro 3 8 ft. Indoor Magnetic Charging Cable

JamesC

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@JamesC wrote:

The outdoor power cable VMA5600C has a non-detachable wall plug (described as integrated power adapter on the website). This is for weatherproofing.

It is a pity that none of the images of this accessory show the wall plug.

Indeed, all the picture shows is a USB cable.

The Amazon listing says:

"1 x Magnetic charge cable with integrated power adapter"

This statement and the picture cannot both be correct.

Please fix.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

The Pro 2 had the opposite problem.  A new charger and cable came with every kit, every battery , every add-on camera and the dual battery charger.  I have a box of Arlo Pro 2 adapters.  

That seems not to be the case with the Pro 3.  The battery comes naked.  My 6 camera kit came with two adapters and cables.  The Pro 3 dual battery charger does not use the same adapter as the direct cable for the cameras like it did on the Arlo Pro 2 dual battery charger.  I have not seen the add-on camera yet.  The Amazon description doesn't mention it, but the Arlo site says an add-on camera comes with a power adapter and charging cable. 

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi so am curious if anyone managed to buy an aftermarket outdoor cable with plug that doesn't have the issue of not supplying a continuous power so you can use the look back features, I have seen people have issues with the app registering a constant power supply?
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Why not buy the Arlo branded outdoor cable.  (VMA5601C-100NAS in North America).

Is there a problem with that cable?

Shaun1234
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Because it's £40 and I would like 4, seems a bit steep
rlpjsh
Star
Star

I am using aftermarket USB charger (5V, 2.4A) and 16ft magnetic charging cable for my Pro 3. The setup works perfectly IF the battery is fully charged externally before putting in the Pro 3. If the battery is not fully charged then the charge level goes down while the battery charging icon in the app blinks on intermittently. Eventually the charging icon goes off and stays off.

I suspect that during battery charging the high current is causing a sizable voltage drop across the cable (IR drop) and the battery is no longer able to charge. I have no idea what gauge wire is used in my cable. My setup has no problem keeping a fully charged battery at 100%. 

I should expect that the Arlo branded cable with integrated charger doesn't have this problem. Eliminating the USB connector, making the charger integrated reduces resistance and that helps, but I'm wondering if that charger might put out a higher voltage ( >5V) to compensate for the 25 ft cable voltage drop and/or using larger wires (lower gauge #).

P.S. I agree with @michaelkenward . The picture on the Arlo accessory page showing the (white) 25 ft cable with the USB connector needs to be fixed. That is not what is being sold if the charger is integrated.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@rlpjsh wrote:

I am using aftermarket USB charger (5V, 2.4A) and 16ft magnetic charging cable for my Pro 3. The setup works perfectly IF the battery is fully charged externally before putting in the Pro 3. If the battery is not fully charged then the charge level goes down while the battery charging icon in the app blinks on intermittently. Eventually the charging icon goes off and stays off.

I suspect that during battery charging the high current is causing a sizable voltage drop across the cable (IR drop) and the battery is no longer able to charge. I have no idea what gauge wire is used in my cable. My setup has no problem keeping a fully charged battery at 100%. 

I should expect that the Arlo branded cable with integrated charger doesn't have this problem. Eliminating the USB connector, making the charger integrated reduces resistance and that helps, but I'm wondering if that charger might put out a higher voltage ( >5V) to compensate for the 25 ft cable voltage drop and/or using larger wires (lower gauge #).

P.S. I agree with @michaelkenward . The picture on the Arlo accessory page showing the (white) 25 ft cable with the USB connector needs to be fixed. That is not what is being sold if the charger is integrated.

I believe others have commented elsewhere that the Arlo chargers will use 12 V when needed.

HomeBrewRunner
Tutor
Tutor

What is the power output of the Arlo Pro 3/ Arlo Ultra outdoor power cable?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I believe the adapter conforms to the PD power spec and is an active adapter that changes voltages and current levels through negotiation with the client device.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@HomeBrewRunner wrote:

What is the power output of the Arlo Pro 3/ Arlo Ultra outdoor power cable?

Model VMA5600C

Power Output 9V 1A

Just another user
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@AncientGeek wrote:

I believe the adapter conforms to the PD power spec and is an active adapter that changes voltages and current levels through negotiation with the client device.

It doesn't say that on the box or on the plug itself.

Just another user
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Does it say USB-C?  I think that is the connection for that family of cameras.  I believe if it claims USB-C and provides power it needs to conform to the PD spec for USB power.  I believe the Pro 2 power adapters would alternate between 12V and 5v depending on the state of the camera and battery level.  I’m not sure about the Pro-3/Ultra family of power adapters.

HomeBrewRunner
Tutor
Tutor

michaelkenward answered with what I was looking for. The output power wasn't listed anywhere I could find and all the pictures of the box were hard to read.

Just FYI, wasn't asking about the USB adapter but the outdoor cable for the pro 3/ultra which comes with the power brick attached.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

I would “think” both adapters would need to operate with similar power management specs, since the camera is the same camera no matter where it is placed.  I assume they skip the USB-C plug on the outdoor adapter to minimize the opportunity for water ingress into the power adapter.

HomeBrewRunner
Tutor
Tutor

I'm guessing it's also lower gauge wire since it is 9v and USB cables I believe max out around 5v. The outdoor cable is the only way to get the floodlight to use the max lumens due to the higher voltage. 

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero
HomeBrewRunner
Tutor
Tutor

@AncientGeek not sure what you are getting at but the USB adapters do have different power specs than the outdoor adapter. In fact, the floodlight will not operate while using a USB adapter, it needs the higher voltage from the outdoor cable.

At any rate my question has been answered, thanks @michaelkenward.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@HomeBrewRunner wrote:

...all the pictures of the box were hard to read.

Arlo is very good at small print.

Arlo Outdoor Magnetic Charging CableArlo Outdoor Magnetic Charging Cable

Just another user
Kbarlo
Initiate
Initiate
So, I just realized that the Arlo Pro 3 actually has a usb port to charge the battery. There is a small plastic cap that pops out like a sim card (tiny pin hole). It charges quicker than the charger they provide.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Kbarlo wrote:
So, I just realized that the Arlo Pro 3 actually has a usb port to charge the battery. There is a small plastic cap that pops out like a sim card (tiny pin hole). It charges quicker than the charger they provide.

Yes.  Often I find it is handy to have one or more cameras plugged in at all times.  This allows me to swap a low battery from another camera for the battery in the camera that is always plugged in.  Basically, zero charging time.  Just swap and forget it until another battery needs to be charged.

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation