Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Problems - time out on naming cameras / base going offline

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
rickyh1284
Aspirant
Aspirant

My model is not listed above it a VMS4640P - I just bought the Arlo Pro 3 - 6 Camera system and it has been nothing but problems. I already have the Arlo Pro 2 with 4 cameras and absolutely love it. So I thought I would add another system, a newer system since the Arlo Ultra only comes with 4 cameras. I wanted to add 6, so the Pro 3 was my choice. I followed the directions, unboxing, plugging the internet, power, waiting the 5 minutes for it to fail the firmware update, twice, it finally succeeded, tied to name it, timed out, went thru the whole process again, to finally name it and then add cameras, the first camera, added but when you named it and the base tried to upload the name, time out, tried again, time out, tried another camera, the same thing, tried another, the same thing, by this time the base showed offline, had to reset, tried it all over again, the same thing with the camera, after 4 attempts it finally named the first camera, tried the 2nd one, the base went offline again. Reset everything again and did the same process but tried different cameras each time. No luck, it is know packed back up and going back to Best Buy. I guess I will just buy a 5th camera for the Arlo Pro2 system I have now and wait till they fix the bugs out of the new system or research another manufacture to buy a bigger system, maybe a Lorex wired system so I'm dealing trying to sync cameras. Good Luck Netgear with fixing this system. 

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rickyh1284,

I'd like to gather more information regarding the experience you had with your Pro 3 system. I will reach out to you in a private message

JamesC

Ritzypooh
Aspirant
Aspirant
I purchased late November 2019. Set up easily. Worked for 3 days no problem. After that it’s been nothing but problems. The hub has constantly gone offline. Also seems to be causing issues w modem. Ever since I connected the Arlo, my wifi has consistently kicked my laptop and my tv off. At first I thought it was my modem. Kept happening over and over so I disconnected the hub altogether. No more wifi issues. My Arlo video door chime stayed on. There’s something seriously wrong w this system. I’ll be returning all of the system including the door chime.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ritzypooh wrote:
Also seems to be causing issues w modem. Ever since I connected the Arlo, my wifi has consistently kicked my laptop and my tv off. At first I thought it was my modem. Kept happening over and over so I disconnected the hub altogether. No more wifi issues. 

That sounds like it might be wifi interference.  How far was the base unit from the modem/gateway?

@Ritzypooh wrote:
 My Arlo video door chime stayed on.

Most likely the doorbell transformer is out of spec.  Though this can also happen if you don't install the power module per the instructions.

Browni860
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have just onboxed new Pro 3 4-camera system & mine also times out whilst trying to "name camera".

Base did a firmware update & has paired with all cameras & lists their serial numbers, but Instructions say to name "the one that is blinking" but nothing blinks & is same for all 4 cameras. Did Arlo support ever PM you with an answer?

rickyh1284
Aspirant
Aspirant

They did but there only suggestions were things I had already tried. Unplugging the Arlo Pro2 I had already been using, trying to reset the wifi, I tried all of it, disconnecting the Arlo Pro 2 and resetting the wifi, removing the batteries from all the pro 2 cameras so none of them were trying to connect to anything. Nothing worked, the cameras wouldn't connect with the base and if they did I couldn't access them at all. I took it back to Best Buy and hooked back up the Arlo Pro 2 which works like a charm, I wish they would work the bugs out of the Pro 3 I need more cameras and better resolution. I'm thinking about going to a wired system to get better video and audio quality. 

Browni860
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes its quite disappointing. Haven't heard back from Arlo Support yet.

It cannot be that Every set they sell is broken.?.?.?

I will let you know if I have any luck

LouiseH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same problem, just bought this system, sadly looking here It seems I didn’t do enough research before purchasing. Firmware is up to date. I have tried resetting smart hub, restarting modem and replacing batteries in each camera, nothing works, it has found each camera and lists the serial numbers but just times out every time at the naming of the camera stage.  Not a cheap product so very disappointed.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

LouiseH,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

jasra
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have connected the base and have gone to connect 3 cameras.
I can see the 3 cameras with their serial numbers.
I follow instructions and rename the camera. 3 mins later it says failed...
Cant contact arlo.
Cant call arlo.
Cant chat with arlo.
Cant believe arlo.
No problems taking my money for the subscription. No problem for the retailer to get new arlo product in the store.
What's the point of having arlo security cameras. We may as well just stay home all the time to protect our property
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jasra,

Try plugging your camera in using the included power cable and AC adapter and then attempt the complete the sync process again.

If you're still experiencing the same behavior, try contacting support by clicking here: Arlo Support Team You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Browni860
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi. Yes I agree it is disappointing. On the plus side though, I did eventually get it sorted with help if Arlo support on the phone.
We reset everything, pulled batteries out of all cameras, & introduced them to base station 1 by 1. (While talking with the very helpful lady ther we’re chickens audible in the background. Too funny)
On another note, once 3mnth free subscription expired, I too was guilty of not enough research- & thought I had 7 day cloud back up but Arlo Pro 3 does not.
I had live streaming ONLY.
We tried a external hard drive + other USB flash drive to record locally but they would not format.
Last resort before submitting to subscription (feeling railroaded by now) was a new 16gb flash drive which works perfectly for our needs.
Hope you get it sorted.
Quality of video is fantastic.
Cheers
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation