Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Power cord

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
kentc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting ready to purchase a 4 camera and HDR system.  It comes with 8 foot power cords.  I understand the attachment to the camera is magnetic but is the other side a USB plug.  I really don't want to buy the 25 foot cord due to the cost so if I need to extend the cord could I use a USB cable?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You _may_ be able to but no guarantees. The issue with long USB runs is the wire size and voltage drop. That's why the outdoor charger with 25 foot wiring is 9v, to compensate for that drop. There's also the issue of weather-sealing to prevent water from causing problems.

kentc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am planning to mount 4 cameras on a vacation home, one on each corner of the house under the eaves.  I do not plan on mounting away from the house.  Since we won't always be there I wanted to use the power cord to connect the camera to the 120v AC house electricity but not sure if all the plugs are close enough to the camera mounts to be able to use the 8 foot cords.  I checked out a video on YouTube this morning and see that the power cords have a USB connection to mount into a AC adaptor.  I am sure that a small USB cable could extend the length if needed, I know I wouldn't need a full 25 foot cable and at $50 each from Arlo that might be $200 additional.  Didn't research the 9V system since I was planning on plugging into house electricity.  It looks like the 4 camera system with HDR does not have any mounting accessories included in the kit

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation