Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Performance Issues

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had this system now in for 8 months, seeing both the good and bad of this system. First off, there are Pros and there are Cons about this system but I have to say, I am against saying this is a perfect system and has several problems I have seen.

First off, the system constantly flickers in and out of usability. For a camera system that is suppose to integrate with a hub, the network collapses everytime during an event and can be overwhelmed and compromised. If you have multiple cameras engaged and one is triggered during an event, the entire system sizes to work until that event is recorded. Unfortunately, that means you can't continue to view a live event, all other cameras are knocked out and the system then can be overwhelmed and someone can act from a different direction.

This is a severe security flaw and from what I have seen, an ongoing issue with no resolution in sight.

The hub should be capable of allowing me to see the live events while actively recording without the system collapsing. Even locally, the system is hard and difficult to use. When I place a USB in, it records more then what I see online, so it helps, but I am still unable to see a live event while it is recording.

Because of that, this system should have a 2 out 5 record and it is unfortunate reputable reviewers provide high marks for this system when it can be so easily compromised.

I am here to ask for help, but at the end, it's a hardware issue with a hub that's only capable of doing one thing at any given time. Also, manual recording is also not always available. It seems the system is just made available for recording at its leisure.

Sadly, bad performance overall and I can't recommend the system to people I know. This system fails at the end of the day.
11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Odin1020,

You should be able to live stream another camera while a camera is triggered/recording. Could you provide more details about what you're experiencing? Is this an intermittent issue or does it always occur?

JamesC

Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
Very regularly, the system would lock up while I am watching a live feed. It would show a "Connection Error" on the page and be locked anywhere from 3 - 5 minutes, repetitively. If me and my kids are outside playing and I want to check the backyard at the same time, it's impossible as the system continues to show an error. I would have to say it is so frequent, that as much as I was looking to expand the system with additional cameras, I have taken a pause from adding. I still want to add two Pro 3s and a Doorbel and have yet to do so. I currently have only 2 cameras and the system seems to be overwhelmed by my use.
Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
Attached is my two cameras and I cannot manually record.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Odin1020 wrote:

Manual recordings require a paid subscription (and even if you have one, they are not stored locally).

Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have had a paid subscription for as long as I have had the system. And I am fine to download after if I need to, but it "chooses" when this tool is available to me.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Odin1020 wrote:

You have Live 2K steaming active. You can not manual record if active that's why the button is not there. You can if it is off so try that. 

Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
To your point DC, there are moments I try to record without any active events going on. Such as right now, I went into the system and I cannot even get the recording system going. But, there are times when the system does become active and it should start picking up events, which at time it does. The problem I have is when there is an active event, it cannot both record and show the live event at the same time. So if I am away and someone is at my door, I cannot communicate or see actively what is going on. The system starts showing errors and even breaks in the recording of the event. It has significant performance issues when it fails to perform where I can see an event and proactively record. At times, I want to set it to record manually and I can't get it to start before it detects an event. Such as now, I can't start a recording and then go to the FoV of the camera and do whatever. It will only begin recording on its own.. maybe..
Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, made the tweak you recommended of disengaging the local 2k setting and it does allow for manual recording now, but I do lose out on the higher-quality footage of the camera system. Which means the 2k system is at best a gimmick if it can't reliably record and perform through its use. Which means, what would be the point for cameras with higher resolution if the only time it works is when your local to the camera and it's network. You can't actually record what happens in detail.
Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
Getting a notice from the forum if this issue is resolved.

In short: No.

The problem with this system is that even if I am live streaming in 2K, it should be able to simultaneously record an event in its original format while I am watching it live. Also, the "record" option shouldn't disappear just because I am watching something in 2K. These are details purposely being kept about the camera system. Which means I have either lag or am missing events when in fact, I should be able to record all events regardless of the circumstances.

Since learning of the deficiencies of the system, I have disengaged the 2k live view and performance has improved. I still don't know if it has improved reliably as of yet, but I can say that the hub is not up to par to be able to use this system to its full potential. At the end of the day, the system is strictly a 1080p recorder since that's the only evidence you would be able to provide.
Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
Update:

So I had a hanging problem again, lasted for 3 - 5 minutes in "Connecting" while activity was ongoing. I couldn't get a live feed.

This was me on the LAN of the system with live 2K disengaged. You can see, it was just a UPS delivery, but I couldn't pull up or engage on the situation while it occurred. By the time I was able to get a live feed, the truck was already gone.
Odin1020
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've added additional information below. Let me know of any suggestions you have.
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation