Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 - Geofencing is substandard on Android

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
MuntedKiwi
Tutor
Tutor

Couldn't find a way to make direct contact with Arlo, so posting here in the poor person's forum on the off-chance someone from Arlo cares enough to monitor the forum's.

Several friends also have the Pro 3. Interestingly the Geofencing works for everyone on iOS and does not work for any of us on Android. Some have older Android phones and others have very new Android phones. Our Arlo app's are up-to-date.

Interestingly most of us have resorted to using Scheduling which isn't a great way to use the system considering the money we paid. BTW there is a bug on Android when setting a specific end time for Scheduling. The bug isn't there on a desktop device.

I have my Geofencing set to large radius. So it has 4 minutes to work out I'm within reach of home, but I still get a motion activation when coming into the sights of the camera. It feels to me like there are a few possibilities here:

Arlo aren't actually using Geo location on Android. Instead they are trying to detect the home WiFi. Or they are using a polling method like every 5 minutes. Google Maps tracks me without any issues, so this is fully on Arlo.

Arlo, you need to drop everything and fix the Geofencing on Android. Drop any new projects and get the Geofencing working for the people who paid you a lot of money. The system is brilliant when it works, but has too many Android shortcomings for me to recommend Arlo to anyone. The currently average App rating will only hurt you long term.

Please fix the broken Geofencing on Android.

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MuntedKiwi,

The app must be logged in and running on your mobile device to change modes when entering a location radius. Do you have any power saving features enabled on your mobile device that closes idle apps after a period of time? Does the behavior you describe above always occur or is it intermittent?

JamesC

MuntedKiwi
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

The large radius has been in play for a while. Don't have any problems setting the radius.

Don't have any power saving enabled that I am aware of which would idle the app.

Battery saver is off.

Key Developer option settings are:

Apps > Don't keep activities = off

Apps > Background process limit = Standard limit

NB: Only some of us have Developer options turned on.

The Geofencing consistently fails to detect me when I return. Same for the others.

Phoney49
Luminary
Luminary
Geofencing on Android not working for me since the March 25 rel. Just my wife and I, and when either of us leaves it goes into away mode. Person at home logs out and in and it works again, until the next time one of us leaves. Such a nice feature when it worked.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation