Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight Camera - constant static distortion (data) noise

Discussion stats
dasmaster
Guide
Guide
I have over a dozen arlo products, they all work fine except the floodlight pro 3 camera. It has a constant, annoying, static/distortion noise, sounds like data transmitting possibly. I returned the camera to Best Buy, bought another one, and it does the EXACT same thing. None of my other 12 cameras (all on the same WiFi network) have this problem. But this is the only pro 3 floodlight camera I have. Should I return the floodlight camera and get a THIRD one? Or should I just saw forget it and just get the ultra 2 instead?
48 REPLIES 48
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

By any chance are you using AC power? If so have you tried disconnecting it? Otherwise I would think it's interference - try moving the camera for testing.

Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought one today and am having the exact same problem. I’ve power cycled and rebooted the base all several times. Nothing works. It’s plugged in to a solar panel. Have you resolved it yet?

21s
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here - connected to Arlo Solar Panel. 

Used to have an arlo pro in the same place - connected to solar and then to mains and this never happened to that one. 

Anyone found a solution to this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

AUdio distortion could be due to wind blowing across the mic but is also possibly a camera defect. If resetting the camera doesn't help, try bringing it closer to your base/hub or router to see if that makes a difference.

awakeintheashes
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue with my Pro 3 Floodlight. On battery power, have rebooted, cleared any potential interference. It’s constant. Connected to 4540 Smart Hub. 

It happens once in a while in my Pro 4 XL camera but clears up pretty quick. 

Any help/guidance from support would be greatly appreciated 

Chris-1234
Initiate
Initiate

I just bought 2 Arlo Pro 3 floodlight cameras and they both do the same thing. I moved them in the same room as the wifi before mounting them and they still did it. Something faulty with the Arlo Pro 3 floodlight cameras. 

Arlo support, are you going to just keep ignoring these threads about this issue?... 

awakeintheashes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, nothing I tried fixed the issue. I ended up swapping it out for another brand camera with a HomeKit automation to trigger my patio light smart switch. 

Not ideal, but much less of a headache. 

Neokteom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem exactly. Reset etc doesn't work. Only solution appeared to be switching off the microphone.

Hope it's a software issue and wait for update....

sferros
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the exact same problem with all of my (3) Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras. My Arlo Ultra 2 cameras do not do this. Connectivity is solid, SmartHub is close by etc. I’d like a fix for this. I want the microphone left on as I want sound with my video.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If connected to AC power, try unplugging it to see what happens.  

Neokteom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Only on battery.

The noises are fairly regular clicks, en waves of 'white noise'. My daughter first noticed en reported activiuty by ghosts, to give you an impression... The noise is pretty loud.

Turning of the microphone worked.

I tried lowering the volume of the speaker to see if it was interference between mic and speaker, but that had no effect.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might be worth moving the camera elsewhere for a test to see if that helps. Otherwise it would appear to be a faulty camera - use Settings, Support to start talking to official support.

sferros
Aspirant
Aspirant

These cameras are powered by battery only. The only time they don’t make the clicking/static sound is when I bring them inside and place them right beside the SmartHub base station. It’s the same for each of the three cameras. If mounted on exterior walls of my home, I hear the clicking/static sounds. The cameras are well within range of the base station station as specified in the installation instructions. Connectivity is very strong and I have full bars for Wi-Fi strength.

Pemscott1
Initiate
Initiate

I have 8 Arlo cameras and a doorbell. All work fine except the Pro3 camera light. I get constant static like everyone else in this thread. How do we get Arlo support to own this issue?

kpowdk
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here, have 3 floodlight and x number of pro 3, pro 4, essentials etc, but it’s only the pro 3 floodlight that have this static data noise.

Any solution that can be shared?

Greg4Greys
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have the same problem as well. 

Seems like the Ultras also had issues with audio that was fixed with a firmware update: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/Arlo-ultra-speaker-audio-crackling-sound/td-p/1781033

Any chance of a similar fix for the spotlight?

MylesK
Initiate
Initiate

Just got mine today. Everything seem to be working great until I checked some video and noticed this same noise everyone is explaining. Camera is up to date and in the same location my previous camera was, which had zero issues. 

Occurs in recording as well as live.

where’s the fix? Where’s the firmware update?  

caryh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Similar to everyone else.  I have multiple Arlo Pro 3 cameras that have clear audio, but my one and only Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight camera has staticy audio all the time (no wind and in multiple locations including being 5 feet from SmartHub).  It is hooked up to the Arlo Solar Panel (bundle deal from Costco).

I was going to request and RMA but it sounds like this is an issue on a large number of the product.

Station_10
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased an ARLO Pro 3 Floodlight camera from Costco. Lot's of static and chirping noise. It's on battery power mounted outside above garage door facing driveway. Thought it was my phone at first but tried another phone with same noise. I suspect it could be interference from our garage door opener which also uses Wi-Fi. I will move the camera to the back yard and see if it alleviates the noise problem.

syders
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had the same problem since adding on a second floodlight 6 months ago. Surely there’s a solution by now?

Metronome
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seconding you in this, enjoying three-layered sound distortion of the camera via the app. One is an even quick rattle, second a really loud hiss, third is two independently clicking sounds, each at different speed.

A couple of months ago I had a pro4 camera which had to be returned due to extremely weak connectivity. It seems this new floodlight is heading to the same direction. Arlo seems not to be caring about this issue.

RachelleT71
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same exact issue.  Luckily I only bought one.  I wanted to see how I liked it first. 

RachelleT71
Tutor
Tutor

I contacted online support today.  Their suggestions were to uninstall the camera, bring it inside and try there, take the battery out for a few minutes and put it back in, take solar power off of it.  Nothing worked initially.  

I tried it all once more and nothing worked until I took the battery out for 10 minutes and after that it was gone.  Support had already agreed to send me another camera.  I will be canceling that. 

Neokteom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried that already, but will try again. Thx!

Discussion stats