Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 Base Station Keeps Dying

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mrpetrov
Star
Star
Had a delivery this morning. Camera didn’t pick anything up. I tried to go to live feed, cameras sat there thinking for a minute then returned the offline message. Tried all four cameras, same result. Then base station flickers orange light (was blue beforehand).

This means there system is completely unreliable as it just goes awol without any sort of notification or error message until I try to start a live feed.

Happens about once every day and a half or so.

Smart station is connected directly to the network with Ethernet cable through the eero access point.

Any tips? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
dcfox1
Master
Master

Today i had the same. smarthub offline but had the steady blue. The 5 min later it dropped to blinking amber. Usually  it does this when  router drops then  come back. Today i had connections on all other devices so i unplugged the the ethernet cable from the base and it came back after reconnecting it. Maybe just got lucky. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's caused by a poor signal between the hub and camera which would explain the long connection time followed by the timeout.

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-mean

mrpetrov
Star
Star
Then - honestly - that’s a pathetic base station. It’s about 25 feet from the nearest camera with clear line of sight and only a pane of glass between the base station and the camera. And it looses connection for all four cameras.

I can’t move it nearer to one camera without moving it further away from others. It’s also weird that it does on all four cameras at the same time and is still lit blue unless I try to initiate a live feed.

Any potential solutions or am I just stuck with a base station which doesn’t work properly?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, if it's a hardware problem, you need to replace whatever is faulty - use the Contact Support link at the bottom here or swap at the store.  If it's an environmental issue, that's something you have to sort out - we can't do that. Signal strength can be an issue depending on the number of walls/ceilings the signal has to pass through as well as the overall house construction with stucco probably being the worst. Metallic objects in the straight line path between the hub and cameras can block the signal. 2.4GHz devices (not just WiFi) can interfere with the signal. Camera and hub locations can make a huge difference but sometimes you just need to move the hub closer to some cameras and use a second one to connect to the others to resolve the issue.  It's not cut and dried - trial and error and testing is needed.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation