Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 3 2 Cameras will NOT connect to base. Netgear Nighhawk router with Orbi Wifi mesh

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
CTGoodwin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Pro 3 2 Cameras will NOT connect to base.

Orbi is handling my wifi and Nighthawk is handlink wired connections

My Nighthawk router has wifi turned off/disabled and my Orbi router is set in AP mode.

When I initially setup my Arlo everything came right up, Base and both cameras. I charged the cameras and once I did that then the Cameras showed offline/not connected. I power cycled the base 3 times with no change. I decided (erroneously now I believe) to remove the cameras and attempt to re-add them. I have attempted to sync the system using various sequences of Base and camera syncs. After about 4 hours I am here. I have completely factory reset the base and both cameras. I had the amber blinking lights on all three.

Each attempt I can add the base right away, the cameras refuse to play. For clarity, the base is hardwired to the nighthawk and the cameras I am assuming either have their own proprietary channel to the base or they are using my wifi, however I do not see them as devices in my Orbi.

I have attempted with the App (Android) and the web interface on windows 10 Pc with chrome as the browser. 

I did not check initially to see if they were using my wifi so I am at a loss here, I also have not seen a way yet to force them on my wifi. I have read both Arlo and Orbi support forums.

I am open to any suggestions and or advice. This is very frustrating. I do IT work for a living for a large organization, so I am capable with these technologies.

Firmware 1.16.3.4_707_c289687

Hardware VMB4540r2

My network consists of

Cable Modem AARIS TM 1602 with Spectrum Internet

Network HW:

Netgear nighthawk R8000P as Router

Firmware Version V1.4.1.64_1.3.25

Orbi RBK50 for Wifi the

Firmware Version V2.5.2.4

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Remove everything from Settings, My Devices. Hold the hub's reset button until the LED flashes amber (>10 seconds). Let it reboot and claim it again. Make sure the camera batteries are charged. Try this camera reset process and then see if the cameras sync:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera

CTGoodwin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done this a few times. All I get is "Looking for your Arlo Camera"... I have factory reset the hub and both cameras multiple times. I believe the camera's are charged, they both spend about 3 hours on the charger Friday. Is there a way to tell the battery level of the cameras if I cannot connect to them?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only way to tell if the battery is charged without being synced is by the solid blue LED on the camera when fully charged. 3 hours should be enough time for a full charge although it may have been right on the threshold.

Since you seem to have tried most/all steps, a swap at the store may be the fastest solution.

Dgil
Aspirant
Aspirant
Most mesh routers use “smart” connect features which choose either 2.4 or 5 ghz connection for you depending on distance from primary router. Arlo needs 2.4 to handle the distant (greater than 30 feet) camera locations. I had to connect the Arlo base hub to the farthest access point router to get the damn thing to work. If these primitive hubs are close to the primary router, most of your cameras will be out of range. Also, the ones that are in range will suck down the battery within days of a full charge. I’m already looking for a hard wired solution. The latency of live streaming using this system makes the intercom feature completely useless. Furthermore, the huge lag is a huge security risk. By the time you get pinged for activity on any camera and try to live stream, your home invader will be breaking down your bedroom door. Such an archaic system. Go hard wired, 24/7 on weekly loop.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CTGoodwin wrote:

For clarity, the base is hardwired to the nighthawk and the cameras I am assuming either have their own proprietary channel to the base or they are using my wifi, however I do not see them as devices in my Orbi.

I did not check initially to see if they were using my wifi so I am at a loss here, I also have not seen a way yet to force them on my wifi.

This looks like it is probably stale, but since no one has answered this...  

Pro3 cameras only connect to the base, so you will not see them on the Orbi WiFi.  Pro4 cameras will give you the option of connecting to wifi, but not the Pro3.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation