Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

arlo pro 3 flood lamp does not record

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
lching71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went to check my recordings and there were none in the cloud for my Arlo 3 flood lamp but still had recordings for my other 2 arlo units.  I later find that I need a subscription to get recordings for the Arlo 3.  Is this a new requirement?  I've had my unit for less than 1 year and I have no idea when it stopped recording.  What are other options besides a subscription to get recordings?

4 REPLIES 4
diannenet
Star
Star

I am having the same problem with my Arlo Pro3 Floodlight.  It stopped recording on 12/23 and so I did a reset and sync and I can view live but it still isn't putting anything in my library and no one at Arlo seems to know how to fix this problem.  UGH.  And my free trial for Arlo Secure isn't up until January 9, 2022 and they are already wanting me to subscribe.  Not going to until my issue is resolved.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, we have the floodlight hardwired but yet now it is using the battery so when it gets light outside will check to make sure my husband connected it correctly but that isn't my main concern right now.  I want it to record!!!

lching71
Aspirant
Aspirant

Maybe I overlooked it, but do you (or anyone reading this) remember when they made their purchase of the pro 3 floodlamp that it stated a subscription was needed to make recordings?  I'm thinking I might need to be talking to a class action attorney about this.  I did not spend as much I did for a motion activated flood lamp or having to be extorted $13/mo for recordings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lching71 wrote:

I later find that I need a subscription to get recordings for the Arlo 3.  Is this a new requirement? 

No.  All new Arlo cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) require a subscription to get cloud recording.  Old cameras (including the Pro and Pro 2 models) still have the free 7-day cloud storage that was offered when the cameras were purchased.

This requirement was on the packaging btw.

s-l1600.jpg

@lching71 wrote:

What are other options besides a subscription to get recordings?

If you have a compatible base station (preferably a SmartHub), you can add USB storage to the base, and make local recordings.

With a normal base, you have to eject the USB storage and view it on a PC.

SmartHubs support direct access to local storage, and some folks use that instead of a paid subscription.  It does have a number of limitations though:

• Recordings are only available from the app (not a web browser).
  • Recordings are only available using the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • Manual recordings or snapshots cannot be made.
  • Thumbnails are not available
  • Remote access is difficult for some to set up - require either port forwarding or a VPN.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

List price for a VMB4540 smarthub is $99 USD, a single camera secure subscription is $2.99 per month in the US.  So the payback for going with a smarthub over a paid subscription is about 3 years.  

lching71
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a smarthub for my other cameras.  I'll test with that.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation