Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
GordoT
Tutor
Tutor
Found solution so far for draining battery in <12 hrs, full factory reset. But still 15% draw in 24 hrs.
When I connect the external magnetic power cord, the Pro 3 Floodlight goes offline until I disconnect. I know it does that when you connect the internal supplied USB cable, but spec sheet says it will work with the external power cord connected AND provide brighter light.
6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GordoT wrote:

When I connect the external magnetic power cord, the Pro 3 Floodlight goes offline until I disconnect.

This is with the Arlo outdoor charger?  Or are you using a third party one?

Do you have another Pro 3, Pro4, or Ultra camera that you can use to test the outdoor charger? 

GordoT
Tutor
Tutor
When I used either, the external mag power cord from my Pro 4 camera or the one I bought separately.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GordoT wrote:
When I used either, the external mag power cord from my Pro 4 camera or the one I bought separately.

I'm wondering if the two chargers also make the Pro 4 go offline.

Also, can you confirm that the outdoor charger is Arlo's (and not made by someone else)?

GordoT
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, but it was only a 5v power block that came with the Arlo Pro4 camera. Their external power brick is 9v, which likely tells the floodlight it’s their $50 external power cable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The difference in voltage is due to the cable length. The voltage drop over the 25 foot cable means the supply needs to use a higher voltage at the charger so that an appropriate voltage is available at the camera.

That said, Arlo may be doing something to determine if the charger is 3rd party.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GordoT wrote:
Yes, but it was only a 5v power block that came with the Arlo Pro4 camera. Their external power brick is 9v, which likely tells the floodlight it’s their $50 external power cable.

As @jguerdat says, they use 9v to reduce the voltage drop in the longer cable.

But I believe they are also looking at the voltage to distinguish the outdoor charger from the indoor one and the solar panel.  

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation