Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Re: Pro 3 Floodlight Nightmare - Motion alerts at night if it snows or rains

Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was in 2 minds end of last year about buying Arlo after reading the negative feedback on this forum and now wishing I hadn’t.

I have ultra2 x 2 cameras and 2 x pro3 floodlights.

The floodlight raises Motion alerts at night if it snows or rains heavy even though I have ‘All other motion ‘ turned off in Smart Notifications, 334 of them last Sunday night and 227 last night.

I have tried turning all Smart Notifications off apart from Person, no improvement

I tried factory reset & re-sync, no different.

I then tried de-activating the floodlight completely from so called ‘smart’ notifications through my IOS app and leaving it deactivated overnight but still get 100s of false motion alerts.

Only true fix is to turn floodlight off at night, just what you want with a security camera.

Raised a case with Arlo weeks ago but nothing has changed. Floodlight is unusable and now have neighbours complaining. Unreal.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

allBlacks,

Smart notifications only suppress notifications, not triggers or recordings.

If you're experiencing too many triggers, you need to adjust your motion sensitivity within your modes and rules. Reduce sensitivity until you achieve the desired results.

For more information on adjusting sensitivity, take a look here: How do I change the motion sensitivity on my Arlo camera?

JamesC

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
James, I had already tried lowering the sensitivity from the default 80 to 40 and I still ended up with a library full of Motion alerts being set off all night by rain.

Oddly this only happens at night, none during daytime so surely a problem with motion detection in the camera or the cloud software controlling these activations.

I have no such issues with my Ultra2 cameras that have the same settings as the floodlight and are looking at the same rain.
michaeljf69
Star
Star

I'm having precisely the same issue as the OP. My only 2 week old Arlo Pro 3 Spotlight works perfectly during the day but at night even at 1% sensitivity it picks up things that don't register at 80% sensitivity during the day including rain and small moths. The Ultra camera that was previously in this location worked perfectly.

It even picks up headlights as they first appear on the road in the very top right of frame before a car drives past my house. During the day cars are not detected at all (which is what I want). If I lower the camera to not see the road, during the day it won't pick up people or cars entering my driveway as they are in the greyed out zone at the top of frame that is normally not meant to detect movement.

I've tried to set up activity zones but it still has the same problem.  I strongly suspect this is a software/firmware issue with the way low light images are processed rather than a physical problem with my camera.

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also have the same issue with insects at night even with sensitivity turned right down.

I find it odd how few people are raising this as an issue when no doubt many of these floodlights have been sold.

Given that the 2 owners reporting this problem bought their floodlights recently, is it possible a faulty batch was manufactured? Just a thought.

Either way I turned mine off last night as due a rain storm and didn’t want to upset the people living at the back more than this light has already done. Unusable.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Coupla things:

- Are these cams plugged into AC? I'm testing that to see if there's a difference (so far, nope).

- Are you turning sensitivity down in your modes and rules? The motion test is just a test.

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is plugged into ac and as previously stated I tried dropping the sensitivity down to 40 from the default 80 with no improvement. It has exactly the same settings as my new Ultra2 cameras which cause me no issues. Just this floodlight.

These motion alerts only happen at night not during daylight hours.

Insects, snow and rain set my floodlight off. Have had numerous nights with many hundred alerts in my library.

Turned the floodlight off last night as forecast heavy rain and I didn’t want to upset my neighbor any further with this light going on/off every minute. Unusable and heading for eBay if not sorted.
allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thought it might also be worth while attaching an example screenshot of the motion alerts I get overnight when it rains. 229 is a quiet night.

As title says-floodlight nightmare....
dcfox1
Master
Master

@allBlacks wrote:
Mine is plugged into ac and as previously stated I tried dropping the sensitivity down to 40 from the default 80 with no improvement. 

You never answered the question jguerdat asked, are you setting the sensitivity in the mode and rules instead of the motion test just to make sure. 

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Did I not say I’d tried dropping the sensitivity from the 80 default setting down to 40 with no improvement in my reply??

michaeljf69 had also mentioned dropping this setting to 1% in the mode settings with no improvement.

This has nothing to do with a motion test while setting up. It is to do with these floodlights firing off 100s of false motion alerts at night every time it rains.

I’ve had a case open for several weeks now, tried everything the case handler has suggested and still no better of. I even requested a warranty exchange to at least rule out a camera issue but that fell on deaf hears.

I have given up on this Arlo system.
michaeljf69
Star
Star
I ended up removing the camera from my account (which also resets it), removing the battery and rejoining it to my account twice instead of the once I'd already done. Then I reset my rules from scratch.

Had plenty of rain last night and at 60% sensitivity it only triggered once. So looking promising but not willing to call it as fixed till it consistently works for a week.
allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Before raising my case I had removed the floodlight, did a factory reset (hold sync button 20 seconds and then re-synced the camera. Then inactivated the camera in IOS Smart Notifications app before reactivating it again. No joy.

Might try it again.

Hopefully you are sorted.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I recently put my floodlight on AC power for testing. Last night we had light snow and I had 30+ recordings where I would have expected 1-3 before. I've lowered sensitivity for testing and will keep trying. If needed, I'll try the reset possibility but I'm trying other things first.

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just 30, I managed over 340 one Saturday night, you’re lucky!

Interesting thought about ac. When I put this floodlight up last November it was on battery power only for a few weeks before I ran a power cable to it (Arlo outdoor cable).

It could be that the problems started then. Can’t be 100% sure as we had a very dry start to winter. Only last while has the snow/rain arrived and the torture began.

Currently running mine at 40% sensitivity, reluctant to go any lower or it might start missing important alerts. Getting spell of dry weather so so no idea if this will help.
michaeljf69
Star
Star
Knew it was too good to last. As of last night mine started to trigger on rain with only 20% sensitivity.

But what is strange is it did it from exactly 12am onwards. This has happened before so it seems rolling over to a new day somehow changes the way it processes motion??
allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok this is getting truly ridiculous.

Why do I feel the unfortunate people complaining on this forum are being treated as part of Arlo R&D department?

I’ve have had zero useful suggestions from my case raised with Arlo weeks ago.

Tonight I have discovered turning my internal kitchen light on with blinds open, the light showing on my rear garden is enough to fire this floodlight up. More useless motion alerts even at 40% sensitivity.

For anybody like me last November reading feedback and thinking what system to install, save a lot of aggravation and $$$ -look elsewhere.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on my limited testing so far, lowering sensitivity doesn't help, nor does it make a difference if the camera is active in Smart. I disabled the floodlight light activation in my rule so the camera uses only night vision and that worked. Of course, that also eliminates the reason for having a floodlight in the first place. I do have another camera for the driveway that has a rule for cross--triggering so when that camera detects motion, the floodlight also starts recording along with using the floodlight. That works fine since it's the other camera doing the detecting.

So, there's 3 options so far, pending a fix:

1) In your modes and rules, turn off the floodlight setting if the floodlight camera is doing the detecting and use only night vision.

2) Use cross-triggering so another camera does the detection and activates the floodlight.

3) Unplug the floodlight camera from AC power and use only the battery.

These aren't fixes, just workarounds.

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does anybody from Arlo read these threads? There was an initial input from James and now quiet, similar to the case I raised.

I connected mine to AC for the extra brightness it supposedly gives when on mains power which is what I need.

Maybe being mains powered unintentionally also affects other settings. Who knows.

The other 2 workarounds would defeat the original purpose of me purchasing this a floodlight for the rear of my property though I appreciate the suggestions.

I still don’t understand why only a few owners are reporting these issues, surely lots have these ac powered.

For me, given the total lack of the interest from Arlo to help fix this issue, the best option is boxing up this overpriced, not fit for purpose security kit and replace with one that does actually work. Will teach me not to take note of previous owners warnings on this site.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Further testing shows that being connected to my VMB5000 hub seems to be the problem. I removed the camera from the hub last night and connected to WiFi, increased my normal sensitivity and got NO recordings overnight. I did get a couple due to cross-triggering from another camera but that has always worked properly.

Question for all - how are your floodlights connected? If to a base or hub, which one?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm going to repeat my question so it doesn't get missed:

Question for all - how are your floodlights connected? If to a base or hub, which one?

Edit: If you also have Pro 3 cameras connected to the hub, do you have the same problem? If so, are they AC powered?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This topic has been escalated and is being reviewed by the development team. Once we have more information, I will provide an update.

JamesC

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
The only device AC powered is my floodlight connected to VMB5000r5. My Ultra2 cameras are battery.

I suggested as part of the case I raised about possible AC power problem and it does in fact seem Arlo customers are part of the company’s fault finding team. This reply is a absolute joke in my opinion and thankfully my short but painful association with Arlo will be ending.

“There Is One Possibility That The AC Power Causes This - As When The Camera Is Connected It Takes Advantage Of The Foresight Feature. 
Basically Then The Camera Prebuffers The Video And By Extent When It Is Raining It Is Constantly Detecting-Buffering-Detecting And That Might Be Why It Turns The Light On And Off.
Would You Be Able To Test It While It's Not Connected The Next Time It Rains?”
allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
For JamesC/developers

As way of an update I’d over 140 motion alerts overnight.

As a test, I can get the floodlight to switch on by simply turning my internal kitchen light on as it sees the reflection on the grass.

I have found that disconnecting from the AC mains there are no false motion alerts using the kitchen light test.

It seems obvious that connecting to the mains gives the desired extra brightness but somehow alters the floodlight and I get the undesired endless false alerts.

How long will it take the department looking at this to get a fix out?
michaeljf69
Star
Star

I can confirm what allBlacks is saying. Mine is a/c powered (and up high so it's a pain to do battery power only).

When it picks up any lights from headlights reflected on the road or even my neighbour across the road turning on a back light (even at the top of the frame where during the day it doesn't pick up movement) it triggers. This happens whether or not I have night vision enabled.

allBlacks
Aspirant
Aspirant
It amazes me how few owners are complaining about this. Surely more than a couple have these AC powered for the extra brightness it gives.

I have now left mine disconnected from the mains power as due another storm tonight and it’s impossible to tell the important alerts from the false motion ones when there’s literally hundreds of them.

This is not a long term solution as I paid to have an electrician put a power socket for the Arlo power cable to plug into and I need the xtra brightness it gives.

Hopefully Arlo can step up and sort this as my Ultra2 cameras work great connected to the same base station and will be a shame to dump the whole system cause of this floodlight.
Discussion stats
  • 28 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation