Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
achenny
Tutor
Tutor

I've got three Floodlights around my house. To save taking them down and decommissioning them each time I need them charged, I bought the Outlook Magnetic Charging cable, so that I can charge them individually.

However, I've realised that when plugged into one of my outdoor power points, it will not charge. It charges fine when plugged into a power point that's inside my house.

I know these power points work, as they connect to my exterior wall lights and those work perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

17 REPLIES 17
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What is the outdoor temp?

the battery will not charge below freezing, bring them in and then it will charge 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
achenny
Tutor
Tutor

I'm in Australia - and we're in summer at the moment.

Current temp is around 30C or 86F

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Got nothing then 😀

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@achenny wrote:

I bought the Outlook Magnetic Charging cable, so that I can charge them individually.

I'm guessing this is just a typo and you meant "Outdoor" rather than "Outlook" which would imply a 3rd party solution.

achenny
Tutor
Tutor

Yes correct - "Outdoor magnetic charger"

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When you say outdoor power points, do you mean the house wiring and outlets? If so, it sounds like a faulty charger - swap at the store. First, though, carefully clean the contacts on both the camera and cable to ensure a good connection.

RalphYoung
Tutor
Tutor

Did you buy an after market brand of charging cable?  I purchased  cables I found on Amazon that said they were made for Arlo cameras and were much less money. I had the same problem as you. I found that the Arlo battery was a different voltage than the aftermarket charger and they did not work. Arlo wants $50 each just for their charging cables, that do not come with the camera, but you have no choice they are the only ones that work on Arlo cameras.

Brendanrmcd
Tutor
Tutor
I am having the same problem. My outdoor magnetic charger is not working.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the ambient temp above freezing?

Brendanrmcd
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, the ambient temperature is above freezing. I believe the problem is that the housing does not “click” together. I am certain the current cannot flow unless the housing is properly aligned.
RalphYoung
Tutor
Tutor

There is another possibility of what is causing your cameras to not charge. Arlo cameras come from Arlo with a clear plastic film on them to protect them during shipping. That film is so clear  it's often hard to tell it's even there. You have to remove that film for the magnetic charging cable to make solid contact.

Brendanrmcd
Tutor
Tutor
The magnetic connection seems like it is being made. Where is the film located (over what part of housing)? Thank you.
RalphYoung
Tutor
Tutor

On my cameras in covered the entire camera, I had to peel it off or at least back from around the magnetic connection before the magnetic charging cables would make solid contact and charge the batteries. The film may be meant  to protect the cameras from the weather but it also prevented the batteries from charging.

Brendanrmcd
Tutor
Tutor
I will take a look once battery needs charging. Getting out the ladder is not one of my favorite things to do! Thanks for your help.
RalphYoung
Tutor
Tutor

Also check and see if your floodlights are turning off. I had to reset the time that the lights stay on down to 5 min or they would never turn off at night running the batteries down. Also without the magnetic cables making full contact your cameras on running on the batteries. Running on only the batteries they work but they don't function quite as well and the floodlights are not as bright. I have to admit it is a pain in the neck to get the ladder out when they go offline and you have to take them down to reset them to get them back online, which happens frequently. Every time one loses connection with the app they go offline. I purchased the most powerful wifi router I could find, upgraded my internet to a full Gig download and 40 mps upload speed thinking internet speed was the problem but it was not the only problem. The App seems to be quite unstable. It very well may be that Arlo has programed that intentionally to persuade users to subscribe to the CVR feature of the App for an additional $10 per month per camera. That is probably why the have a lag time of 3 to 5 seconds between when they sense motion and when they start recording programed into the App. 

Brendanrmcd
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you.
rayp1953
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently purchased an ARLO Flood light. Very disappointed that there was not a magnetic cable charging cord included in the package. They did include a charging cable that requires me to get my ladder out remove the flood light and charge it that way. At 250.00 plus they surely they could have included at least one 6 ft magnetic cable with the device. I have ARLO cameras all over my home. I am 70 years old and I do not feel overly comfortable climbing a ladder to remove the camera to charge it. They do offer a cable but that is an additional $50.00 and it’s 25 foot long. I had a receptacle installed prior to my purchase so I had a near by power source. Just very disappointed!!!
Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation