Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ispiratica
Tutor
Tutor
I noticed yesterday that my camera was giving notifications but not recording anything. I checked and couldn't find any recordings for over 2 weeks. I noticed that the firmware was updated on 16 September 2021. I can do live view but no motion or manual recording. Reset camera, replaced battery, re-sync camera and restarted base station. Already opened a ticket but no reply yet.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ispiratica,

Locally stored content on the VMB4000 is not viewable from the Arlo mobile app. The only way to view locally stored content from a VMB4000 is to eject the storage device and view from a PC: How do I view videos saved on a local storage USB device?

Your Floodlight came with a trial subscription that allowed you to view recordings stored on the Arlo cloud through the Arlo mobile app. After your trial expires, cloud recordings are no longer being saved.

JamesC

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ispiratica wrote:
I noticed yesterday that my camera was giving notifications but not recording anything. 

Start by checking your subscription status. You need an active subscription to get cloud recordings.

Ispiratica
Tutor
Tutor
I should have also mentioned that I record to local usb flash drive. Drive has been used for over 2 years. I don't use subscription services. I've never used it for this camera since activating it in April 2021. The drive was also formatted as part of the troubleshot.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ispiratica,

What model base station/SmartHub are you using? How are you checking for recordings?

JamesC

Ispiratica
Tutor
Tutor
Hi James,
I'm using a VMB4000r3 base and I'm checking from the app on an Android 11 phone. I reinstalled the Arlo app as well.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ispiratica,

Locally stored content on the VMB4000 is not viewable from the Arlo mobile app. The only way to view locally stored content from a VMB4000 is to eject the storage device and view from a PC: How do I view videos saved on a local storage USB device?

Your Floodlight came with a trial subscription that allowed you to view recordings stored on the Arlo cloud through the Arlo mobile app. After your trial expires, cloud recordings are no longer being saved.

JamesC

Ispiratica
Tutor
Tutor
So this is true for only Arlo Pro 3 onwards and not my Pro and Pro 2?
Ispiratica
Tutor
Tutor
Would a VMB4500 allow for local app viewing on my floodlight?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ispiratica wrote:
So this is true for only Arlo Pro 3 onwards and not my Pro and Pro 2?

It's true for new camera (starting with the Ultra in 2018).

@Ispiratica wrote:
Would a VMB4500 allow for local app viewing on my floodlight?

No, you need a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000).

There are quite a few limitations with direct access to local storage

1. no manual recordings
  2. recordings only available in the app (not via my.arlo.com)
  3. recordings not accessible with friend access
  4. no thumbnails
  5. can be hard to set up access when when away from home

Just something to be aware of before you invest in a smarthub (instead of the subscription).

Ispiratica
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for your help. I didn't realise Arlo gave free ransomware with new cameras. Good thing it was a discounted purchase.
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation