Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Truth2121
Apprentice
Apprentice
Can you hard wire the Arlo Pro 3 flood light?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Truth2121 wrote:

The outdoor power adapter for the Pro 3 and Ultra cameras also works with the Pro 3 Floodlight. They have the same magnetic connector to the camera.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Truth2121 wrote:

The outdoor power adapter for the Pro 3 and Ultra cameras also works with the Pro 3 Floodlight. They have the same magnetic connector to the camera.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
RobFoley
Initiate
Initiate

Does your answer mean that the Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight can be hardwired? I currently don't own any Arlo products so I'm not versed in how the outdoor power adapter setup works on other products. I am considering replacing my current hardwired outdoor flood lights with the Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight and would prefer it to be hardwired but also prefer to not have too many adapters and other cords; want a clean easy setup.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Hardwired in the Arlo ecosystem means connected to power, not Ethernet, if that's the question.

A-A-ron
Guide
Guide
The cameras only transmitt video wirelessly, but you can connect them with a USB power cable to avoid having to charge the camera batteries.

Unfortunately the Pro 3 Floodlight will not function if you use any 3rd party power cables. You will have to use Arlo's 25' outdoor cable which is completely overpriced at $50.

That is the closest you can get to "hard wiring" them, though it isn't really. This is how I have most of my cameras connected, which is fine with me because I'm definitely no electrician
RobFoley
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks, your reply was helpful. It seems like a missed opportunity for Arlo. Most houses have lights already hardwired that could be replaced with a flood light or flood light camera like this one. My options now appear to be to either

- use the flood light as intended but then dead-end and hide the electrical wiring that is already present

- have an electrician install an outlet, plug in the flood light camera and run the outdoor cable through the wall to it, and still dead-end and hide the existing wiring

- or not buy the Arlo Pro 3 flood light camera

None of the options are ideal.

Help Arlo! Please create an accessory kit to solve this problem!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@RobFoley wrote:

Help Arlo! Please create an accessory kit to solve this problem!

The number of variations on a theme needed to meet all circumstances probably puts this sort of thing beyond Arlo's scope. But there is a thriving "maker" movement of people who have thrown their imagination at the challenge of fixing cameras of different makes in odd places.

There are also various DIY gadgets that let you put some cameras in interesting places. I uses these:

41NBEfHGulL

The Floodlights pose a particular challenge because they don't have the standard tripod screw thread. But I have seen pictures of some impressive bits of handiwork.

Just another user
A-A-ron
Guide
Guide
"- have an electrician install an outlet, plug in the flood light camera and run the outdoor cable through the wall to it, and still dead-end and hide the existing wiring”
================

I think this is likely going to be your best bet. I would call around and get some quotes from electricians. One would think that adding an outlet where the floodlight is located shouldn't be too much work and would offer a pretty clean install.

Just make sure your wifi has enough reach to where you want to mount it.

I do wish these cameras included an Ethernet port supporting power over Ethernet, (POE), as another option for powering and connecting. Many floodlight locations may not have the best wifi coverage, so this would be an excellent option!
Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation