Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Are the SmartHubs only good for older cameras?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
the_tiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Pro 2 camera set-up running on a SmartHub and then an additional Floodlight and Essential camera and my free subscription has run out. Can I set up another network with purchasing an additional Hub or is a paid monthly service the only way to get recordings saved from the newer cameras?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@the_tiki wrote:

I have a Pro 2 camera set-up running on a SmartHub and then an additional Floodlight and Essential camera and my free subscription has run out. Can I set up another network with purchasing an additional Hub or is a paid monthly service the only way to get recordings saved from the newer cameras?

Getting a SmartHub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) and adding storage would let you use direct access to local storage https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

It's not as easy to use as the subscription - plus you can't access the local recordings from your web browser, and they also can't be accessed via "friend" accounds.

the_tiki
Aspirant
Aspirant

So are you saying I can buy another smart hub, add the floodlight and essential camera, access video via phone app and just not allow other uses access to the recordings as the shortcoming?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@the_tiki wrote:

So are you saying I can buy another smart hub, add the floodlight and essential camera, access video via phone app and just not allow other uses access to the recordings as the shortcoming?

Yes, you can do that.  You'll also lose thumbnails.  When you choose the base station, you'll need to blindly choose a video, which will then be downloaded to your phone and automatically play.

Seeing the video while off-site will require either port forwarding in your router, and using a VPN.  FWIW, there is a bug with Android - for some reason it won't find the local storage when you use a VPN.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@the_tiki   IMO the Subscription is worth it for cloud storage and other options with the limitations of local storage. But up to you. 

Hagenes
Aspirant
Aspirant

Smart home technology helps users customize devices based on their schedules and preferences. The best smart tech links devices together into a full network.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation