Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

sometimes see an image captured on devices page that never generated alarm, email, or recording

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
presotto
Tutor
Tutor

My base stations are both vmb4000r3

I have been getting odd behavior from my cameras.  It is sporadic since they normally work correctly.  The most annoying is seeing a snapshot on my devices page for a camera that shows people or animals but never getting a notification or recording or email.  And sometimes I get notifications but nothing else.

This happens on both my arlo setups (in two different cities).  The bases are oin two different flavored routers (one a new netgear) and with very different internet links, one a 56Mbps fiber and the other a 100Mbps comcast cable.  I have rebooted everything, factory reset everything, uploaded new firmware to bases and cameras and the problem persists.

I've also found that power cycling a base station can cause dire consequences.  In  one instance it no longer let me change the mode.  I ended up having to factory reset and start again, relinking all my cameras to it.  It is important after you do this to make sure everything works as expected.  For example, after this procedure one of my cameras worked fine on manual but was stuck in the mode described above, i.e., it would see movement, show a snapshot on the devices page but send no notification, email, or recoding.  Removing it from the mode and readding it fixed the problem.

I like these cameras mostly because they are battery powered and upload to the net.  However, I have found them to be incredibly quirky.  If left alone and not changed in any way, they seem to work fine.  However, if I change anything, the system seems to find its way into very odd modes.  When changing anything, BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID, and check everything afterwards for correct behavior. 

4 REPLIES 4
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @presotto,

Try to adjust the motion detection sensitivity if you are not receiving any notifications. You can adjust this through Mode > Choose your Arlo Product > Pencil Icon from Armed > Pencil Icon on Rules > Pencil Icon on "Motion is Detected."

You can also try testing your Motion Detection by going to Settings > My Devices > Choose your Arlo Product > Device Utilities > Motion Detection Test.

presotto
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, will do.  FYI,  Today I got notifications but no email or stored video.  Looking at the web page, the device showed a cat and actually changed while I was looking at the devices page as the cat moved around but no video recorded, just a notification sent.  Are there different trigger levels for notification and recording?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. Notifications are a result of detection in the first place. Are the videos showing up later?

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

It will all depend on your rules. If motion is detected, you can set the notifications to be on or off. Feel free to also check on different devices, such as your PC, if you are seeing any of the videos coming in.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation