Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

iOS - library select all feature cannot be selected

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
cambaync
Star
Star

This occurs both on the website and on my iPhone app.  The only thing that has changed is that I downloaded the new Arlo app (by Arlo) in place of the one by NetGear on my phone. 

When I have multiple videos in my Video Library, the option to Select is grayed out.  I cannot select multiple videos, for example, to delete.  I have to manually delete the videos one at a time.

My husband is the primary account and he has granted my account access.  I have logged out and logged back in.  I have tried deleting the app on my phone. 

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Arlo Mobile app version 2.9 is now available for iOS supporting iOS13 and resolving the issue with the select all feature. Please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app downloaded from the app store.

For more information take a look at the release notes and knowledge base articles below:

Arlo iOS App - 2.9 - 19th September 2019 https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-iOS-App-2-9-19th... 

Will I need to reconfigure any settings after downloading the new Arlo app? https://kb.arlo.com/0000... 

Why do I need to download a new Arlo app? https://kb.arlo.com/000062252/Why-do-I-need-to-download-a-... 

Why am I not receiving Arlo notifications on my iOS device? https://kb.arlo.com/1099161/Why-am-I-not... 

ShayneS

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's an artifact of your having been granted access - you don't have all the features of the primary account. 90-95% will bethe same but not all.

I recommend never deleting videos since there are too many requests to get thos e videos back, which isn't possible. Just let them migrate off your library according to your plan (7 days for the free plan).

cambaync
Star
Star

Instead of this being a function or result of having been granted access, I think this is a fault in the code.  If I have been granted access and I have the ability to delete videos (perform that functionality), I should be able to "Select" the videos to delete.  Why limit my ability to "Select" them for deletion?  What purpose is served from a user's point of view?

The only variable causing this design function to occur was the changing from the NetGear Arlo app on my iPhone to the Arlo Arlo app.

As for not deleting videos, we have local wildlife (neighborhood cats, squirrels, possums, etc.) that occasionally set off video recordings that I do not need or wish to keep.  I fully understand that once deleted, these videos cannot be recovered.

Any chance of fixing this new flaw?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I agree that if you have the ability to delete individual videos you should also have the ability to do bulk deletions.  The underlying privileges needed are the same.  

@JamesC - can you log this as an app bug?

@cambaync - I suggest you also put this in the idea exchange, just to make sure the request is reported.

cambaync
Star
Star

I've just got off a chat with Arlo support and they have logged the problem with a case number. 

I was initially told in the chat that this was "grant access feature's limitation. For full control, only the main account administrator would be able to select multiple contents to delete." 

They then realized that I had the functionality to Select and delete with the NetGear Arlo app which then disappeared in the Arlo Arlo app.

I will log it on the idea exchange as a worthless limitation on the privileges.

Thank you for noticing my post and your feedback.

ayoung0903
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently downloaded the new Arlo App and I no longer have the ability to “select” my videos to do a delete, I have to select and delete each one...why? This is so frustrating
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ayoung0903 wrote:
I recently downloaded the new Arlo App and I no longer have the ability to “select” my videos to do a delete, I have to select and delete each one...why? This is so frustrating

You must have grant access - is that correct?  

That is something that changed in the new App; hopefully they will change it back.

ayoung0903
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do. It is super annoying because I am the one that generally manages the videos. They need to change it back
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I strongly suggest that you NEVER delete a video since there are too many folks wanting to get them back. They will auto-delete according to your plan. Download proactively as needed.

ayoung0903
Aspirant
Aspirant
That is all personally preference. Because of where my cameras are located I get a ton of “false” movement from things like flags and bushes. I watch all videos before deleting
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ayoung0903 wrote:
That is all personal preference.

Correct. There is some risk when deleting multiple files that you'll delete the wrong one.   That is potentially a big downside, since you can't get them back.  So I do take @jguerdat 's point on this.   While I generally don't delete them, there are certainly times when I have.   FWIW, it'd be nice if you could tag the recordings - then you could use a filter to see the ones of interest.  It'd also be nice if there was a filter for "not viewed".

Getting back on topic - this is a regression, and there are no security implications in fixing it (since you still do have the ability to delete).  So in my opinion, Arlo should restore that function.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @cambaync

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

stiowio
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue for me, please make sure this issue is solved ASAP
brh
Master
Master

Very strange, I have been granted access to another account, (I am not the primary account holder), and I have no problems deleting multiple videos using the Select function. I am on ios 12.4.1. It is wierd that some people have issues while others don't. Some of my issues others are not having.

Brian

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @brh

IOS 13 beta seems to be a factor as well.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Arlo Mobile app version 2.9 is now available for iOS supporting iOS13 and resolving the issue with the select all feature. Please make sure you have the latest version of the mobile app downloaded from the app store.

For more information take a look at the release notes and knowledge base articles below:

Arlo iOS App - 2.9 - 19th September 2019 https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-iOS-App-2-9-19th... 

Will I need to reconfigure any settings after downloading the new Arlo app? https://kb.arlo.com/0000... 

Why do I need to download a new Arlo app? https://kb.arlo.com/000062252/Why-do-I-need-to-download-a-... 

Why am I not receiving Arlo notifications on my iOS device? https://kb.arlo.com/1099161/Why-am-I-not... 

ShayneS

cambaync
Star
Star

The latest Arlo app software update has resolved the problem with the Select feature.  Thank you.

mdh42
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a similar problem to the one stated.

I am the account holder. IOS13, iPhoneX. I can choose Select, then Select All. The menu at the bottom changes from grayed out to green, but the only icon that responds is the star, all other icons do nothing.

Please fix this. I record videos to a USB drive so I don't worry about keeping them on the cloud storage.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @mdh42

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Which version of the Arlo mobile app are you using?

I was not able to replicate this issue with a iPhone 11/iOS 13/Arlo app 2.9.

mdh42
Aspirant
Aspirant

iPhoneX, iOS13

I finally stumbled on the issue. Opening the library and choosing Select/Select All, I could not delete recordings. After much perseverance, it seems the targets for the icons on the bottom panel are a little off. To select each icon, instead of the icon itself, I need to choose a very small target below and to the left of the icon. This continues to work, however the target is very small. 

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation